5.0 out of 5 stars Hate laptops, love this though!, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Apple ME294B/A 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Intel Quad Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB HDD, Iris Pro Graphics, GeForce GT 750M 2GB, Mac OS X) (Personal Computers)
I've had iMacs for years and my 27" is a dream to use. I'm a web developer so the mac gets used all day and (too) often, all evening. I needed a laptop as I find myself out with clients more often and lugging a 27" iMac is not an option! I'm not keen on laptops as I like a large screen, a mouse and power, however this MacBook Pro is a revelation. I'm actually enjoying using it.

The screen is a joy to look at, it is seriously fast (faster than my 2 year old high powered iMac) and I've even been converted to the trackpad. I am an Excel power user, and the Mac version is tosh, so I have to run Excel in Windows in VMware Fusion. It is astonishingly good. The MacBook handles it easily. My previous laptop was a top end Dell XPS which was nice, but it got very hot and the fans were really loud. This MacBook is silent.

At two grand it ain't cheap, and you must get AppleCare if you intend keeping it for more than one year. I have always bought AppleCare and used it 3 times in the past (all display related issues) and the repairs would have cost me £300, £450 and £600 if I did not have AppleCare.

Is it worth it? I would rather not be adding to the billions Apple already have, and I think they should trim their prices. That said, if you are using it for your livelihood, then I think it is worth it. Bear in mind that Macs hold their resale value, so the cost over 3 years for a superb machine is compelling.

I didn't buy mine from Amazon as I got a better price elsewhere, but I do use Amazon a lot and find the reviews helpful, so I thought I should write a review for what is a big outlay for most of us.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Feb 2014 22:26:14 GMT
Incandescent says:
What does AppleCare give you that we aren't already entitled to under UK law?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2014 23:24:08 GMT
My understanding (that Apple also state) is that the defect must have existed on delivery and the burden of proof is on the consumer. I've used this law very successfully with an Optoma projector and got it replaced 3 times in 3 years. However, as my Mac is critical to my business, I can't waste time arguing with Apple, so it's worthwhile for me to have Applecare.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2014 14:00:36 BDT
It extends the warranty to 3 years (as opposed to 1 year)

Posted on 21 Jul 2014 17:30:18 BDT
Artwelamazon says:
Apple don't need to "trim their prices". You pay top dollar for top quality. Good things need to be expensive (compared to cheap tat) otherwise we would all be expecting everything for free and living in filth throwing poo at eachother!.

Plus you get excellent resale value!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›