1.0 out of 5 stars Potential to be a great router, but !!!! ............, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: AVM Fritz! Box Fon 7390 Wireless 4 Port VDSL/ADSL2+ Router DECT VoIP Phone Adaper (Accessory)
I went overdrawn at my bank, to buy this top of the range Fritz 7390 router. I already had, the eairler Fritz 7140 VOIP router, and was delighted with that, so, this new all singing all dancing router seemed just the job.

Well, it arrived, I was all excited, a new toy! However, when set up (it does this automatically if your ISP supports it, mine did) but, the download speed was appauling, I was previously getting around 6.6Mbs, with this 'new' router, harldy 1Mbs, terrible. I did factory reset, checked every detail, still only around 1Mbs, same even after a full manual setup.

So, I rang AVM Fritz at their Netherlands office, spoke to a guy, oh he said, try this new 'lab' firmware, and, give me a link in an email, I updated the firmware in the router to this new 'lab' version firmware, still the same, very poor down and up speeds, how frustrating!

My next telephone call was to the AVM Fritz Germany head office number, the same guy was on the phone as the Netherlands number Hmmmm!! At this point, he was extremely unhelpful, not wanting to discuss this, but, wanting me to detail events in emails, with screen shots, no doubt wanting to start a long and probably non productive string of emails, probably lasting months and, getting nowhere in the end.

I interupted him, saying, this was a brand new device, advertised as suitable for all international ISPs with Annex A or Annex B, regardless, so, it wasn't fit for the purpose, he give me the opinion, he didn't really care, needless to say, I was annoyed, as this attitude has been pointed out by other people contacting AVM Fritz technical support over router modem matters.

I use O2 as my ISP, it's ADSL2+ Annex A, which this Fritz box 7390 is supposed to support, if you are with O2, ADSL2+ like me, you will probably experience poor speeds too, if another ISP, you might be lucky and it work OK?

Amazon have been so helpful in this matter, they even sent another new router out, in case the first one was faulty, that's trust, I like that. The situtaion is now, I had to return it for a refund, a real shame, I would really have liked to have kept this router, it has tons of features I could use, but, alas, after sales from AVM Fritz, was extremely poor, in fact terrible, I tend to judge a company, on how good they are if you experience a problem with their equipment, AVM scored extremely low on this occasion.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Sep 2011 09:09:48 BDT
Chris says:
I also had the problem that my DSL was much much slower (factor of four) than with another DSL modem when using a FritzBox (in my case the 7270). In earlier times updated firmwares from AVM did solve this, but this time I eventually decided to just use an external DSL modem connected to the FritzBox. This is easy to set up, and the FritzBox beats anything else I know in terms of available features, therefore it's still worth getting one!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2011 19:14:54 BDT
Hello ........

Yes, I think it's something to do with the chipset used at the exchange! My particular ISP is O2, and they use Broadcom chipset there, now, the Fritz 7390 was rubbish, would only sync at 2mbs if that, the 7270 which I later bought is 'normal' at 6.25mbs.
Out of interest, I had this same saga with Draytek routers, the sync speed was appauling, very very low, technical help was poor, so, that's why I turned to fritz, although very expensive, they are as you perhaps know, excellent.|

I also bought two of the MT-F DECT phone, superb, it's a shame the 7390 didn't work out for me, I would have loved to kept it, but, I'm happy(ish) with the 7270.

Who is your ISP, did you solve the low sync problems?

Brian (Huddersfield)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2012 14:55:57 GMT
marcoscu says:
Hi had the same problem with the orginal 7390 firmware. I am on a Virgin adsl line and although my old 7270 worked fine I just could not get the 7390 to work: it would sync but not sustain a connection. However, since then there have been several firmware updates to the 7390 and in fact it is now working perfectly well for me on the same Virgin phone line.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2012 15:23:11 GMT
Hi Mark ...

Thanks for your comments, In would have daerly liked to have kept this Fritz router, but, the sync sppeds were awful.

If I was lucky, I'd get maybe 2mbs, normally I get 6+, so, I had to settle for the lesser 7270.

Although a very good router, it does not have the same facilitesas the 7390.

Ah well, that's life....