5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Phone, 3 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Blackberry Bold 9900 Sim Free Mobile Phone-Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I should qualify this by saying I am an Android Software developer. As such I am intimately familiar with a wide range of Android Hardware and can offer I think a valid comparison. I have owned and evaluated perhaps 50+ GSM phones from the truly awful through to the superb and many smartphones from the Nokia 9000 and Ericsson R380s onwards (1996-2000) to the present Samsung Galaxy S III. I have seen them all, the good, bad and the ugly.

This phone is perhaps the best built phone I have seen since the late 90's to early 00's when companies like Ericsson produced supreme quality of hardware before costs compromised everything with the wide permeation of mobile devices and mass manufacturing. It oozes quality and feels substantial in the hand. Coupled with the Dicota 9900 case (available on Amazon) it truly is sublime. It just is a seriously nice piece of hardware and does show that the company has some truly great talent working for them.

Call quality is excellent, as is the built in speaker phone. The audio is almost perfect as if each device has been tuned to perfection.

The Screen is very nice. Perhaps not as bright or sharp as the latest AMOLED devices but frankly it is so good that you'll never wish for anything better anyhow. It does the job very well indeed.

The Software (OS7) is easy to navigate and use. I do find the lack of text labels besides icons a minor annoyance and I do hope this can be fixed. The TuneIn Internet radio is surprisingly better than the Android version. Crystal clear sound as well.

I cannot let pass the satellite acquisition time (to get a GPS fix). My 9900 takes between 5s - 7s from *cold* to get a full fix for my position from 7-12 satellites. That quite frankly is amazing. At first I really couldn't believe it operated so fast. The downside here is the mapping software isn't great (but adequate) and again it would be nice to see something better here.

I usually switch off 3G and use a 2.5G EDGE/GPRS connection as this seems to make the device battery last around 40% longer. This way I can usually get a few days use out of the phone before charging. But the battery life is not great (similar to most other modern smartphones), but it certainly would be adequate for most people I would imagine.

If you need a keyboard based device you are in luck as the keyboard is brilliant. Tactile and responsive. The best Keyboard on a mobile I have ever seen (and I have seen a fair few).

As a purely functional tool this is the way to go. If you require lots of additional software though an Android might be a better bet, but you'll be missing out on one of the greatest pieces of Hardware that has graced us so far.

I can't recommend this device enough. It makes most Android phones look like toys not serious business devices.

And again I *highly* recommend the Dicota case Dicota BFB Lid Cradle for Blackberry Bold 9900/9930 - Black. You won't find a better case for your 9900 I am convinced.

Update: 13/July/2014 - Had this phone now nearly two years and found it to be quite superb in almost all respects. Very reliable phone.

[Add comment]