5.0 out of 5 stars Too Good to Be True?, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Timetop Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Multi Fuel Oil Gas Picnic Stove Furnace Cookware Cooking Burner for Hiking
My old MSR Stove, which had served me well, was on its last legs. The pump broke and the cost of replacing that was around £32, with a completely new stove being anything from £100 to £170 which, by any standards, is expensive. Looking for an alternative I was quickly drawn to the Booster+1 because of its striking resemblance to some MSR stoves and by its remarkable price of only £37. On the basis of ‘you only get what you pay for’, I had some concerns and the fact that it’s made in China did nothing to reassure me. Researching the product on the internet gave rise to further doubt as it seemed to be marketed in the UK under a couple of different names. Why? However, after considerable deliberation, I took the risk and made the purchase.
The stove arrived 2-days earlier than was expected, which was a good start and I was reassured to see that it carried an ISO 9001 Certificate of Quality symbol. The product was well packed and contained everything needed, right down to a small bag to store the stove in. The instructions, in English and Chines, were printed on a single sheet of paper. Fortunately, there are a number of videos on YouTube that show the correct assembly process, which are worth looking at.
The stove will burn just about anything and the same soft tube that is used to attach a fuel bottle is also used to attach a gas cylinder – and there is no need to change the nozzle. For versatility of fuel choice it seems to have all options covered. The support legs open out to give a strong base and provide a solid platform for pots of all sizes. It works on the principle of using the stove itself to heat the fuel into a vapour, hence the need for a pre-heating process.
I took the stove into the garden as it should only be ignited outdoors and was glad that I did. Having released a little fuel into the kindling port, I lit the stove with a match and it was immediately engulfed in flames. Fuel seemed to be everywhere and flames were leaping into the air. Clearly I had released far too much fuel. Eventually this pre-ignition fuel burnt off and this time I released the valve in a more controlled manner. The stove burst into life with a mighty roar!
It proceeded to give off a good, strong, powerful heat and seems more than capable of meeting my requirements in the field. I boiled a small kettle of water in next to no time and as far as performance goes, I could see no difference between it and my old MSR stove. This is not a quiet stove and it’s not suited to slow simmering. It’s a full on, heat generating unit. Now I had to switched the stove off and dismantle it. Closing the valve, the flame died down to a flicker and continued until the remaining fuel in the tubes had burnt off. The problem came when I started to disconnect the soft tube from the fuel bottle at which point fuel started to leak everywhere.
What I had failed to do was release the brass ring, located at the top of the inflator, by half a turn and to then, very slowly, unscrew the bottle from the pump assembly. The second time I used the stove, I did this and the problem of leaking fuel was, for all practical purposes, eliminated.
From a marketing perspective, the introduction of a quality manual would greatly enhance this product and improve its overall image and help better position it in the market. Having gone to the trouble of producing what looks like an excellent product and having it packed in a professional manner, it seems remise not to include a proper manual, with extensive diagrams, rather than a single sheet of cheap paper with one side printed in Chinese.
That said, I cannot fault this stove in either quality of build, performance or price and it could well cause other manufacturers to take a radical look at their pricing structures if they want to compete with it. Will it last as long as my old MSR stove? Only time will tell and if it does have any major design or operational weaknesses, then I have yet to find them.

[Add comment]