5.0 out of 5 stars A Matter of Love and Hate, 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
Twelve years ago, my history teacher in High School sang the praises of a book that, in his own words, every adolescent should read at some point.Three days ago, and twelve years later,Santa finally did what I hadn't in all those years,and brought me a copy of The Catcher in the Rye.

I read it in a couple of nights. The first night I felt like someone I had thought my friend had let me down in some way. I started to suspect that it might be the typical overrated classic.The boy starts a story from some place he's confined in, but he doesn't elaborate. He then starts the telling of what happened last Christmas, which eventually led to his being where he is. As much as I tried, I could find nothing especial there, just the boy and his school mates and troubles and the crazy decision of flee to avoid parental confrotation and an immature teen with a lot ot maturing to do. He most probably would end up doing something stupid and being caught and all. Perhaps it was too late. Perhaps I was too late, and should have read it just when Mr. Montejo told me to.

Yesterday night, I picked the book again. Sadly, more out of the respect I had been brewing for the last years than out of real interest, but I picked it anyway. And then IT happened.

At some point of Holden's account,everything just clicks. Where he was, why he was there, what was going on with him. So I had to read other's thoughts about this amazing character.

I wasn't really surprised at the bunch of negative reviews, and neither I was at the bunch which considered it a masterpiece. What really surprised me is that many of them, good or bad, seemed to miss something that to me was crucial to the story: that Holden is not the teenager boy going through the difficult task of coming of age and doing stupid things and leaving the innocence of childhood behind, as I had previously suspected and feared. But that his problem, his real problem, is deeper and more dangerous than that. That he is tired of everything and everyone, in serious need of help, immersed in a serious depression, inestable and anguished to a dangerous extreme.

When he first mentions his brother Allie's death of leukemia when he was 13, or how he broke all the widow glasses of their garage afterwards,he does it in an almost eerily casual manner. But later you realise that perhaps that day was the day Holden Caulfield started his race toward the very same precipice he wants to save those children of his dreams from. Unfortunately, as he says, there's no one big around to catch him.

It's not that this book leads to violent acts or has the power of perturbing minds. More like perturbed minds recognise what's really going on with Holden. That he's not only coming-of-age, but he's coming of age immersed in a depression no one seems to see or care about. When his sister confronts him, he ends up crying and clinging on to her like she's the only thing that can save him. Perhaps she is, and she literally saved him without knowing it.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but as caustic and sad Holden's thoughts are, I don't feel his story is pessimist, but rather the tale of a catharsis that was both necessary AND urgent for him. He is conscious of many things about the world, but also about himself, contrary to many opinions I've read. And he has a good heart, and not an agressive nature. It can end well.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book, but with some warnings. If you need things happening all the time to feel there's something going on, this is not your book. If you expect a coming-of-age narrative, you won't like it either. If you are looking for different tones in the voice, you'll be dissapointed and find it lineal. And if you are an adolescent, I can't tell. You might or might not like it; you might or might not feel it.

As for me, I'm truly thankful for not having read this book when I was Holden's age. I wouldn't have liked it, and so I would have missed this amazing feeling I'm having today. The feeling of having been touched by something. It doesn't happens often, nowadays.

My apologies for the rant! :D

- BeLa

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jan 2009 15:14:15 GMT
T. Bently says:
I agree! A lot of people forget that this book was published in the sixties when it was it was ground-breaking to have an such a truth-telling teenage narrator

Posted on 6 Feb 2009 11:33:07 GMT
"The inane ramblings and tirades of a cynical and bitter little rich kid do not a good novel make."
Absolutely agree here. I thought the same through the first middle of the book. The thing is that, in the end, that is not what the story is about.

BeLa

Thanks for your comment on my review. Point taken - but Holden is a character that is bound to divide readers opinions. For everyone like yourself who identifies in some measure with him, there are bound to be others who cannot. At no point during the course of the novel did I feel any empathy with the character, his situation or alienation. You take positives from the book which I do not. My interpretation of the novel is undoubtedly clouded by a lack of empathy with Holden, but I am not alone in this. I saw nothing to which I could relate to over the course of the novel - I did not see any signs of catharsis or redemption by the end - but that may well be because by that stage I simply did not care.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2011 16:46:24 BDT
Er, it was published in 1951.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 00:17:01 GMT
Bubo says:
I think many people miss the explicit allusions to child sexual abuse in the book, what with Holden's creepy teacher "admiring" him at night ("I started to sweat like a pig. that stuff happened to me at least twenty times as a kid") and Jane's own problems with her step-father who went about naked in the house and the fact that Jane would not look Holden in the eye nor let him kiss her on the mouth. As ever, Holden when he is said to be "immature" etc. is being re-victimized and the reason he finds the world so phony, does alcohol and goes to a prostitute is because of that sinister fact in his history. People need to wake up to this side of the book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›