2.0 out of 5 stars Not one for me, 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Carrier: Culver Valley Crime Book 8 (Spilling CID series) (Kindle Edition)
This was our book club choice for September and another new author for me. The blurb sounded promising so we were all keen to get reading.

Each chapter is dated and with that brings a different person's view, I'm usually a fan of books set out like this but I don't think it really added anything.

I didn't really get the relationship between Tim, Kerry and Dan and why they were so devoted to him, it was all a bit odd. Oh...and the letters to Francine which are interspersed are actually really cruel which doesn't help you like the Kerry and Dan any more (although some were quite amusing but I don't think I was supposed to be smirking as I was reading them).

Unfortunately I really struggled with this book, I don't like giving up on books so persevered but it was hard work. I didn't engage with any of the characters and found them to be totally unbelievable; so didn't really care enough to be interested in what happened to them and towards the end I really didn't care if Tim had killed his wife or not. In fact, I hoped he had to give the book more of a twist.

This book is billed as a psychological thriller but I didn't feel that at all, it actually feels quite ploddish.

I believe this novel is part of a series of books and therefore is probably better aimed at fans of this series rather than as a standalone. I really dislike giving a negative review but this really left me feeling cold and I'm afraid this book doesn't inspire to read any more of Sophie Hannah's books. Sorry!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jul 2014 17:33:19 BDT
You are SO RIGHT!!! Don't bother reading any more Sophie Hannah; it would just be a waste of time. I have read several and this was the worst, but I keep persevering as some people rave about her. I don't find her books clever at all; they have unsympathetic, dislikeable and often patronising characters and her 'plot twists' are ludicrous (this one, at least, was a little more credible than the end of 'Kind of Cruel'). I have come to the conclusion that I just 'don't get' Sophie Hannah....or maybe all her work is a prime example of 'Emperor's New Clothes' syndrome?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2014 17:54:42 BDT
Bookboodle says:
Glad it's not just me :)

Posted on 17 Sep 2014 15:46:14 BDT
Agree with this critique, but don't give up on Sophie, this was the most disappointing one of hers that I have read so far - I have enjoyed others

Posted on 20 Sep 2014 23:18:30 BDT
R Aspegren says:
Other books earlier, I've enjoyed. This one though I totally agree, is hard to get into and also I didn't get the plot at all why Tim, Kerry and Dan were so intensely close that they would lie for "Lauren" . How does that protect Gabby? Especially as Lauren is an employee! A disappointing ending.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›