4.0 out of 5 stars Old dog new tricks..., 9 Feb 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Edition (Upgrade) (PC) (CD-ROM)
Just a very quick review of this product.
I bought the professional edition as I required MS Access but my comments are relevant to the other packages.
Most people are completely familiar with the MS suite of products so my only comment is that as a user of Excel since 1995 I found the new version more difficult at first to use as quickly as I had done before when previously I have upgraded.

The new layout for me was not immediately intuitive and I spent a lot of frustrating time trying to find out where buttons and options were for fairly basic things I used to do very quickly and without any thought.

It is an old dog new tricks problem...

Having now used the new version for a month I have re-orientated myself to the new layout and find the improvements worth the initial frustration of getting used to the new way of working ( same applies to MS Word ).
There are many useful new features ( some of which I used to have to write VBA code for - especially the extra conditional formatting functionality included ).

I bought a new PC and given the expense of that I calculated the extra cost of upgrading my MS Office was worth it to be fully up to date. If I had not bought a new PC I don't think I would have upgraded quite yet.

I still have to save files in old formats when distributing files, losing a lot of the benefits of the 2007 suite, because I don't think there is a critical mass of other users yet using the 2007 versions.

Did MS need to bring out this new office suit ? Probably not. Is it better that the last version ? yes. Worth the money ? Probably only if upgrading your PC and O/S to keep everything with the current versions.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]