4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration to make your spirits soar, 7 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Spirit: Garden Inspiration (Hardcover)
I got an inkling this book would be different when Dan Pearson was guest editor on Gardens Illustrated in January this year (2009). The result gave an insight into this deep thinker and the way he looks at the landscape.

I then was lucky enough to win a ticket to see him speak at the Hay Festival in May, which turned out to be a preview of this book. I've been eagerly awaiting its publication ever since.

It may look like a coffee table book, but it has much more depth than that. Yes, there's plenty of beautiful images, but it says much more about one of our most influential garden designers of today. For him, the creation of a garden is about finding a 'sense of place' and drawing inspiration from his travels around the world in order to do so. These are the special places that makes Dan pearson's heart sing.

This is not a manual about the mechanics of garden design. It's about looking and feeling and reading landscapes. Only by drawing on that can a designer deliver something beautiful that's right for it's context. It's something that's easy to say, but far harder to master.

Even if garden design's not your thing, this book has enough interest for both gardeners and nature lovers alike.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Nov 2009 12:55:12 GMT
L. De Beden says:
If the book is so good why did it not get five stars?... your reviewer does not explain.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2009 21:51:05 GMT
I reserve 5 stars for those books which I find are indispensible. I will come back to this book again, but not all the time. It's a treat for special occasions.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2009 10:24:42 GMT
L. De Beden says:
Thank you, I can see your point but beg to disagree. We desperately need books that show our public a way to get to their gardens, as an alternative to binge buying at garden centres. That is one way to find satisfaction, but what this book indicates is a deeper and more spiritual way of answering our gardening search for fulfilment. Would you not think it is indispensable?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2009 11:45:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2009 11:46:07 GMT
Agreed we need more of this kind of book to really get under the 'skin' of garden inspiration and design, so I guess that does make it indispensible in the widest sense of the word.

Our conversation (which I'm thoroughly enjoying) highlights how subjective this star rating system is because we're all probably adding our own version of what they mean to us. I've only just noticed that Amazon has a tiny bit of guidance on what they actually mean by it. I've been judging each book against all of those I have in my collection and by those standards there's very few I'd give 5; I'd love to give lots of them 4.5, but I can't! However, seeing 5 in Amazon parlance means 'I love this book', then I confess I'd have to do that. Unfortunately, I can't seem to change the ratings I've already given out :(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (5 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £38.29