5.0 out of 5 stars Just a thought, 15 Aug 2009
This review is from: Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal: An Island Records Anthology 1967-1972 (Audio CD)
Love this compilation to bits BUT
AN IDEA
Has Island thought about issuing the CD versions of all those wonderful compilations of 'You can all Join In'. 'Nice Enough to Eat', 'Bumpers' and 'El Pea'?
You could release them just like the 'Classic Album Series of artists with neat little reproductions of the sleeves in cardboard.

Think if all 5 were included it would sell like hotcakes.

Just look at re releases like the B52s, The Pogues, The Pretenders, Jefferson Airplane and their like.
Fools like me would buy and enjoy them and it would be a wonderful addition to the pension funds of some of those grate (sic) performers?
A little bit like Bob Monkhouse did with the Royalties for his TV show 'Mad Movies'. Lots of actors were on the breadline and he ensured that royalties were paid to the septuagenarians.

Just a thought... Please tick to say my review was of use and heck you never knows Island just might take heed watch this space!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Nov 2009 01:32:44 GMT
Xdealer says:
I was creatively involved in the early stages of this box set and my suggestion to the Island label manager was to produce a box with all the Island samplers in mini LP sleeves with original tracks and artwork instead of the tired box set formula already used on the Deram set. I also took the trouble to research and highlight to them alternate mixes of tracks on Bumpers for example. I also pointed out that unlike Deram most Island stuff was readily available but that the character of the samplers You Can all Join In, Nice Enough To Eat, Bumpers and El Pea would resonate with collectors including myself and would be a nice set to own. I suggested that they also include as a bonus the CD single of the Blind Faith Change of Address single or Rain/Burning Up Years by Hard Meat to make it even more special. They complimented me on my research then gave it to Mark Powell to produce this second rate tired looking box. Sorry but I tried.

Posted on 8 Jan 2010 23:12:43 GMT
discostu says:
I own this collection and love it to bits, it takes me back to when I had hair and smoked large ciggies. If Island re-issued the other collections ( I also had a CBS one, not sure, but I think it was 'Fill your head with rock' ? I would gladly buy them all. The ciggies and the hair may have gone, but the pure enjoyment of the music hasn't.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2010 19:25:58 GMT
Glenn Cook says:
What a travisty that Island didn't take up your idea.
A limited edition set like this would sell out faster than a Led Zeppelin reunion concert.
Have Island no imagination? The idea and set would be absolutely outstanding.
Also, and this is a point I really do need to raise it would also raise funds for all those artistes and songwriters (in a lot of cases sadly their familes) who just might benefit from this bonus in their latter years of life. I for one would buy 2 sets. One for myself and the second for an investment the price would skyrocket.
Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2010 15:41:56 GMT
Soarhead says:
I have two CBS ones "Fill Your Head With Rock" and "The Rock Machine Turns You On". Without digging them out I couldn't say which was first.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2010 16:40:23 GMT
"The Rock Machine Turns You On" was the trailblazer (for all the labels!), "Fill Your Head With Rock" was a later double (Wikipedia). I had the latter, but the tracklisting rings few bells, apart from "Come to the Sabbat".

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2010 16:46:06 GMT
Excellent suggestion, Glenn. Don't Island realise how many aging (weekend) hippies are out there? I owned Bumpers and El Pea, and ended up buying over 50% of the parent albums (including all the Nick
Drake albums while he was still with us), but I would certainly buy the samplers again.

Posted on 29 Aug 2010 17:24:19 BDT
It's no problem to me. I still play all these samplers you've mentioned on vinyl.
Didn't you all keep 'em??

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2010 18:04:54 BDT
Yes we do BUT.....
some of us got married/divorced/moved/house/had a mum that "threw out all those old comics that you never read" along with those old LP things that gathered dust.
Left em in the sun and the things warped some of len't them to a 'friend' (SAD) and some actually had the Dansette knocked and scratched the things!
and
some of us bought a new thing called a CD player that stopped us having to
a. Dust the LPs down and gasp had to turn the things over to play the other side and had to ensure the stylus was just right.
SO we would love to by a CD thank you very much thus ensuring all those old musicians get a much need fund to their twilight years and stimulate the CD making Industry.

(Gosh I deserve the OBE)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 17:22:53 BDT
Nice Enough to Eat...

my 2nd album purchase after Abbey Road

please please please - with the original cover photo

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 22:12:55 BDT
We live in hope.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Glenn Cook
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: South Cave, near Hull UK