3.0 out of 5 stars In many ways good but with one serious flaw, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Samsung UE40F6510 40-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD 3D Smart LED Television with Freeview, S Recommendation, Voice Interaction, Dual Core Processing - White (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
In many ways this is an excellent smart TV and I agree with many of the 5 star comments about picture quality, apps, ease of use and etc. I found the native sound quite reasonable [my wife thinks it is fine], but upgraded to a Samsung sound bar which I think has improved the experience greatly. BTW, there isn't the usual phono output for sound to got to your hi-fi on this TV, but a thing called a digital spdif output, which looks a bit like a phono. If you want to connect to your hi-fi or a surround system that doesn't have a digital input you can buy a spdif to phono converter on Amazon for about £20. Not really a problem as far as I'm concerned, but worth knowing about.

So, if I'm pretty happy with the set, why the three star rating? One of the reasons I went for a smart TV was the access to catch-up TV and in our case BBC iplayer, which we use a lot. Unfortunately There is a real lip sync problem with BBCiplayer [although not with other catch up services such as ITV or Demand]. Programmes start off OK but gradually fall out of sync, until after about 10 -15 minutes they are unusable. Researching this on the internet, it is clear that this this is a problem with a number of Samsung low and mid range TVs that people have been complaining about for about 6 months, with no solution forthcoming. The obvious solution of plugging straight into your router instead of using wi-fi has no effect.

So, if you never use iplayer or you tune through a set top box of some sort, this is not likely to be a problem, but if like me you want to use the iplayer app on the TV there is a very frustrating issue to contend with. I will update if any solution is forthcoming from Samsung or BBC.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Dec 2013 20:49:15 GMT
So you took a whole two stars from the TV because of a single faulty app? Presumably you checked for TV firmware and app updates?

Does anybody know who actually develops the iPlayer app for pre-loading onto Samsung TVs? Is it Samsung, or the BBC itself? If the BBC, it would be quite unfair to rate an excellent TV such as this down 40% just for an app that Samsung have no control over.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 05:57:51 GMT
Si. says:
Tbh i have this TV & it is out of sync when playing a movie using my SKY+ HD Box, i would take more Stars off! This is the first & last time i listen to Which Magazine!!!

Oh & standard play TV is terrible.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 20:33:31 GMT
Chris Turner says:
Since BBC iPlayer is the main channel I watch and mostly as catch up this TV would be unsuitable. Fair feedback IMO.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 11:19:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2014 11:20:18 GMT
Jules says:
Yes - thanks for the warning. Problems with sound sync on iPlayer would drive me mad. Like the reviewer, access to catch-up services is a key reason for our wanting a smart TV. Knocking two stars off seems more than justifiable to me!

Posted on 27 Jan 2014 22:01:08 GMT
d1rty turban says:
Hi ndh, I'm currently thinking about getting this tv, so as usually I do alittle research. I came across your problem on a few occasions in regards to the lip sync issue, I have seen a few posts in a forum that whilst on the BBC iPlayer app, go into the settings menu and change from SD (standard definition) to HD (high definition) this problem can be resolved, I think it has to do with the app creating a bigger cache\buffer to help with improved picture quality, but as a bi product the lip sync issue seems to be resolved, I hope this helps and above all hope it actually works......

Posted on 1 Feb 2014 01:03:30 GMT
Si. says:
Adding to my post earlier for the people that do have the 32 inch TV version. When you get the lip sync problem while watching normal TV through a Sky + HD box, press the pause on your Sky remote then the button to the right of the record button & it should reset the sync problem.

I have firmware version 1117

Posted on 22 Feb 2014 17:37:10 GMT
I think that part of the problem stems from the fact that this TV does not have a DVB-T2 tuner for Freeview HD capture. Not sure why this would be omitted when the set has all the other bells & whistles, but it's easy enough to link to a laptop and there's no lip sync problem

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2014 14:28:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Feb 2014 14:29:04 GMT
Michael it has both Freesat and Freeview HD tuners.

Posted on 20 Apr 2014 12:48:45 BDT
I don't know if this is relevant or not but I use software on y PC to record from iPlayer. It is then converted to burn to a DVD to play on my current, non-smart TV (found this while researching to buy new TV). I have found that these recordings also go out of lip-sync until unwatchable after 30 mins or so. There is a troubleshooting option in my conversion program that corrects this perfectly. I suspect that the problem is at the BBC end rather than the TV since recordings from other sources never have this problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2014 23:54:01 BDT
Hi Joan - curious to know which conversion program you are using that offers effective lip-sync correction...?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›