5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness does not roll over and play dead when it is confronted with evil, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Redeemer: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 4) (Paperback)
The Redeemer is the fourth book in translation by Jo Nesbo and he captures our imagination with this book by bringing us readers into the storyline twelve years prior to the main plot. We start with the rape of a fourteen year old girl that takes place at a Salvation Army summer camp in Norway. Although we know there was a rape we are not given clues who committed this act or disclosure of the victim. In a second separate event we are also given the story of a young Croatian boy caught up in history of Croatia and it's political cruelties his known by others as the little redeemer.

Current Day: Oslo, shots ring out at a Christmas Concert, a volunteer dressed as a Salvation Army soldier is executed by a man in the crowd. Less than an hour later Inspector Harry Hole is at the crime scene and with hardly any leads to go on in the hunt for his faceless killer his luck's about to change, the current snow storm that has hit Oslo has grounded flights. Stranded, the Killer looks for a place to stay and keeps a low profile but as the cold night draws on he also discovers he made a fatal mistake his shot the wrong man. With his contract job still pending he makes the most of his time in Oslo and decides to finish his work. He takes refuge for a while with the Salvation Army trying to hide behind the seamy side, where drug dealers and dope heads sell their clothes for fixes even if it could mean life or death in a freezing city. As twisted events unfold Harry suddenly finds himself looking for two types of psychopaths an assassin and a rapist; on the wintry streets of Oslo it suddenly becomes an increasing desperate situation for all.

Fantastic reading! all the ingredients of evil in one book, lies, deceit, revenge, biblical passages, manipulation, bribery, corruptions, violence and more twists and turns than a twisty-turny thing! I will never look at my vacuum cleaner in the same light again!

The Author Jo Nesbo does a wonderful job in this book with his incredible observation, not only of people with their thoughts and feelings making all characters seem so very real, but also about every day life and little things in general. Subjects such as politics, giving us the good/bad sides to his city, level of corruptions in Oslo and of course if you haven't been to Oslo, like me, he gives us those clear visuals, a sense of place for our minds to work towards. You can clearly tell when reading through his interviewed people thoroughly, tapping into different areas also adding parts of history to build the story. He remains very descriptive throughout his writing, which is something I love more than anything and it really adds and helps us readers use our imagination to lose ourselves in the whole dark twisted plot.

I actually refer to this book as Harry new start, his ex girlfriend is very much in the background and he also managed to get himself to AA meetings and stay soberish for this book. But his still having that constant battle since he requires to carry a hip flask with his favorite tipple as a safety precaution. Even though there are three others books before this one; you can start straight from here, but I would always recommend from the beginning. There will be references to other characters in passing but explanations on them are given throughout.

Harry Hole remains a compelling character to read; a romantic with a very cynical side, he also realizes he needs to confront and question his own weaknesses. After reading the first three books The Redbreast, Nemesis and The Devil's Star you will learn Harry's Achilles heal is alcohol, his an alcoholic. His job requires him to live between good and evil in his every day life, but between the lines, could his own addictions and rule breaking finally make him face those two sides of good/evil, which one will finally take hold of him first. Other nice touches to Harry's character, he is, his own man, clearly likes women, well read and he has his love of music and films. But something I noticed over all others right from the first book, Norwegian Hole maybe, but my favorite characteristic in him would be directness of conversation spun with an English dry sense of humor.

For all books that I've read so far in this series, the stories are fascinating to read, constantly moving forward and the plots interwoven with smaller stories throughout bringing in the old and new characters along the way keeping everything fresh with the right pace, suspense, tension and interest. The Author holds the excitement from one page to the next and knows how to surprise, twist and shock.

The Redeemer maybe 460 pages but it's entertaining all the way especially loving the twists. It engages the mind to the very end which clearly makes this book another winner to add to a great series.

Also adding here a thank you to Don Bartlett who gave us all the clear translation of each book in this series. Next in translation The Snowman released March 2010.

Andrea Bowhill

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Oct 2009 17:02:20 BDT
Mary Whipple says:
I see that you are reading ALL the Nesbo mysteries, even those available only in the UK. This one doesn't come out in the US till March, 2010! Will be waiting for it with bated breath. Thanks for the early review. Best, Mary

Posted on 21 Oct 2009 17:03:31 BDT
Mary Whipple says:
I see that you are reading ALL the Nesbo mysteries, and obtaining those in the UK which are not yet available in the US. This one doesn't come out in the US till March, 2010! Will be waiting for it with bated breath. Thanks for the early review. Best, Mary

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2009 21:55:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2009 11:39:36 BDT
Thank you Mary :) Fantastic you have a date, this is great news!

UK, cover changes. Read the books with original covers when they first came out, but in this review I've tagged the newest covers/books, this is what's been seen here in the bookshops to date. Therefore anyone who does see this review, but doesn't buy online knows what to look for in bookstores.

Funny enough only today I was in Waterstones, crime section checking out what's new and ended up helping someone on this; all staff were busy and she was struggling, she'd already read the Redbreast but wanted the next one in order; gave the run through and she went away best pleased with Nemesis in tow, my good deed for the day done :)

Redeemer have a feeling your gonna love it - enjoy, The Snowman also released in March, will send you a reminder Andrea :)

Adding details for a date to comments on the US site :)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2009 01:19:21 GMT
OEJ & SKY says:
Thanks for your review Andrea - I'm tempted to try this one

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2009 11:53:35 GMT
Thank you OEJ! Go for it; I loved this one! it's a great series; you can start from The Redeemer; but I would always recommend from the beginning The Redbreast then Nemesis and onto The Devil's Star if you haven't already! As you go into The Redeemer it seems to have elements of the first three books and it works really well :)

When I have a moment going to do a re-read of The Devil's Star as it was the first one I read a few years back and it stuck with me, still got my original cover copy on my bookshelf, I've recommended it to one of the US crowd but they also want to see me review it, so hopefully I'll have that up before Christmas :)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2010 19:46:35 GMT
OEJ & SKY says:
Well, I did go for it, and I'm reading it right now! I've gone from one Harry to another in consecutive novels - Bosch to Hole - but I'm inclined to think that Nesbo's better than Connelly these days.....

I've already got The Snowman, which was excellent, and The Redeemer appeals to me even more, I like the story-line.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2010 23:15:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Nov 2010 23:20:02 GMT
Hooked! I knew you'd come back for another at some point :) While I still hold a torch for The Devil's Star as it was the first one I read, its appealing dark side, The Snowman has just edged its way in there on my list. I think what's really great about all the authors books in this series is that everyone could simply shuffle them into their own order of favourites and have a different reason of why for each.

Funny you should say this one appeals to you more story-line wise I'm hearing a lot of this from feedback on book sites, the men seem to be going for this one. Well enjoy it, The Leopard comes early Jan :)

Posted on 14 Nov 2011 19:23:46 GMT
Bookworm says:
I can't imagine what a sad life you lead this book was boring and badly written

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2011 19:24:19 GMT
Bookworm says:
Please don't, save your time and money.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2012 12:27:24 BDT
J. H. Bush says:
Why do you find it necessary to comment on so many reviews of this book (and probably others of Nesbø's I expect)?
Some sort of vendetta?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (255 customer reviews)

£12.99 £11.62