5.0 out of 5 stars I'm living proof this system works - Five Stars, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: Use Your Head: Innovative Learning and Thinking Techniques to Fulfil Your Potential (Mind Set) (Paperback)
When I first heard of this book I was a university drop out who had FANTASTICALLY failed the second year of my degree(that would be 1993). I stressed, extremely unhappy, living at home with my parents (because I couldn't go back to uni) and unsure about my future.

I knew I wasn't stupid, but i didn't know to extract the information needed to sucessfully pass my degree. This was also coupled with the fact I was undiagnosed with dyslexia and had a real challenge putting ideas on to paper....so you can guess I had a unhill battle. One night I was listening to my local radio station and Tony Buzan was being interivewed by the DJ I was impressed and something in my gut told me 'buy this book'.

So I did. The next day. I knew I had done something to really change my academic life and it shocked me just how much.

Well, I will say this system is extremely easy to learn and best of all it's very very quick once you grasp the basics. After bit of discussion, I managed to secure a place at another university and decided to study 2 DEGREES and condense this over 2 study years. A lot of people thought I was completely mad - but I had confidence I could do so frankly I didn't care!

Mind mapping helped me with my lectures (plus I also carried a dictaphone to listen to them again later), researching and structing my essays. My essays were a couple of 2 hours to research and about 2-4 hours from 1st to final draft (depending on the number of words).

Exams which used to stress me out to the extent I could'nt think straight; became EASY and ENJOYABLE(if such a thing can be!). I could walk into any exam setting feeling quiety confident that I was going pass and frankly the examp essays would write themselves. There were incidents where I only had a day between exams to collect infromation and mind map, I was able to do this easily and remain calm despite the stress of exams.

I was able use mind mapping to take large and complex theories and explain them in simple clear english which impressed my lecturers and examiners.

I left university with a 2:1 and in 2 degrees and just missed out on 1st class degree by 4 points.

My sister also used this book and missed a 1st class degree by 1 point!!

My point is this, If can can go from FAILING a degree to to SUCCEEDING WITH TOP MARKS, then frankly there's no excuse for anyone else not to - it really is that simple. You just have to decide to be open minded and make this work for you.

I'm living proof 'it does what it says on the book jacket'.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]