5.0 out of 5 stars A rare and wonderful book, 19 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Book Of Ebenezer Le Page (New York Review Books Classics) (Paperback)
I can't recommend this book highly enough. It is a real treaure - one of the best books I have ever read. It deserves to be widely known and hailed as a classic of 20th century.
The premise is, on the surface, not specially promising: an 80-year old man looks back on his life, which he has spent entirely on the island of Guernsey. But Ebenezer's story takes us to the very root of what it is to be human, what it is to love, suffer, enjoy simple pleasures, endure disappointments and loss, and all the while, retain the utmost dignity and humanity.
Ebenezer chronicles his life through the 2 world wars, the German occupation of Guernsey, and beyond. He watches, half amused, half sad, but without any self-pity, as the world around him changes, never for the better. His voice is utterly compelling, wickedly funny and truthful as he describes all the pretensions and absurdities of the people and situations he sees around him, and all the tragedies and the joys of life.
I urge you to read this book -it is heartbreakingly beautiful and you will never forget it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 May 2010 23:55:30 BDT
My dad gave me this book years ago but I managed to lose it. I grew up in the same area as Ebenezer and my grandparents were on the island throughout the Occupation so the story always had a special resonance for me. I was thrilled to find it listed on Amazon and now have a new copy.

Posted on 22 Aug 2011 14:46:14 BDT
Pysgotwr says:
I was about to write a review of Ebenezer when I read C Shaw's report. I feel I cannot (and need not) add anything to what has been said. I think this is one of the best books I've ever read (and re-read) and cannot understand why it is not bettter known.
I was in Guernsey recently and was astonished at the hype of the 'Guernsey Potato Peel' when this book, in my opinion, is far far better and so little known (and actually impossible to buy in Guernsey (in 2010)!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (20 customer reviews)

10.99 7.69