5.0 out of 5 stars The iPhone killer..., 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 620 Sim-Free Windows Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I always used to own Nokia. I had a 5300 music phone which I loved and moved on to the Nokia 5800 which was a brick! Of course I eventually went to iPhone for its innovative design and os. Sadly its now behind the times. I have been following the windows phone developments for a while now and I've not been entirely enthused about the other, more cumbersome Lumias. Once I saw this though I knew it was meant to be!

First off - it's very light! As a former iPhone 4 owner, its a joy to hold. The case is made from special material (polycarbonate did I read somewhere?). It clips off by pushing the camera hole at the back - its easy. The phone part that comes out is then even lighter - its hard to believe such a great phone is so small.

The micro sim card goes in behind the battery - which is another reason I'm happy - I can finally carry a spare battery again! The micro SD card also goes here - a whopping 64gb its great - got loads of videos and music on. However, a fantastic app is the Skydrive app, so I can access all my stored videos online too and download them straight to the phone.

Yes, the Windows app store is not as full as the iStore - but to be honest they have the essentials - Skype, whatsapp, facebook, kindle, viber (which can only do texts at the min). It's missing spotify but Nokia music is very good allowing you to choose songs to sync in an offline mode, similar to spotify premium. I'm currently liking the many gym workout mixes it has and I love the ministry of sound app. There are also numerous camera app, panorama mode etc; and a mode where you can make photos move like on Harry Potter!

The live tiles are great and give you up to date information. Windows 8 is great, very modern feel and very fast. It takes a few days to get used to, especially if you come from another os. There are two main screens - your live tiles front screen and then you swipe to see a list of all other apps alphabetically. The live tiles can be resized and moved around with ease.

The battery can be seen from the main screen and to be honest I am very VERY impressed - I have it on standby overnight next to me as I sleep it might have been charging as it was in my computer. I go to sleep, wake up and 8 hours later its on 99%! Also I use bluetooth headphones for music which can drain bettery quickly, but again not in this instance I can got for a an hour and a half ride and the battery has gone down about 10% with the bluetooths - far superior to the iPhone!

Okay, okay you're gonna start thinking I have been employed by Nokia to bash the iPhone! Don't get me wrong, I loved my iPhone, but I wanted a phone that worked alongside my computer (I'm a microsoft fan) and had a micro sim so I could just copy music over rather than sync all the time! I hate syncing! Luckily with this phone I can do that!

I thoroughly recommend this Nokia - a great phone at a fantastic price! Hope you enjoy it...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Feb 2013 18:00:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2013 18:05:53 GMT
Anonyfinn says:
Yep, the 620 as you say is great with an removable battery so no need for service centres and easy to carry a spare, and more to the point runs Window 8 rather than 7.5 or 7.8. Not many admit to being a Microsoft fan! -- but I find these phones are great to sync with your PC or other devices or do all sorts of files and MS Office file editing (free 7 gb online storage with SkyDrive -- my PC 'My documents' I've given up for SkyDrive as I always have a back up of work in progress accessible from mulitiple devices). And it really is a great OS -- you have whatever you want on the front page in whatever size, and in whatever colour scheme, and have other apps on a second tier with a single sideswipe. With the live tiles I see text messages and emails to different accounts coming as they come, so no need to keep logging in as they come. Apart from the hardware, Nokia also provide great maps and Nokia Drive for navigation, and also Nokia city lens. The Lumias are obviously amazingly good phones which deliver good specs and value, sync nicely with your PC, and don't tie you down to expensive Apple accessories or e.g. music files that have just got to be Apple. I have the flagship 920, and my kids are getting these for their birthdays, as I think they should last many years (they are both double figures in years, and someone got me a voucher for Xmas that I'd rather spend on them than myself, if you think it sounds extravagant!). It's amazing that some people are still banging on about Apple without giving good and in some ways better options a thought. This mid-range, mid-price jobby is just the ticket.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 04:08:34 GMT
I know I think Microsoft get a bad press but lately they've been really good - I'm over the moon with skydrive too so much so i purchased 100gb and have my whole life online now! Im hoping to get the Micorsoft Surface Pro next month too! Hope your phones do last that long! Thanks for the reply...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 22:00:06 GMT
I'm going to buy this phone and will be my first WP8 phone. Can you suggest me a list of apps or, if you want, share your list of apps, please?. I'm not interested in games. Thank you so much.

Posted on 9 Feb 2013 08:34:17 GMT
U. Valentin says:
Hi Chris. Spotify beta just landed on WP8. Might want to grab it, and also edit your review :)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 00:15:10 GMT
Noe1 says:
Hi, what kind of things do you intend to do with your phone? That will pretty much determine the type of apps you may require.

For example, I do a lot of conversions (e.g. km to mi) on my phone, so I got a unit conversion app. Then I got a flashlight app because the phone doesn't have built-in flashlight. One of the first was a connectivity app. Unfortunately there aren't many that monitor data usage, but the connectivity app helps you to switch on and off your wifi, mobile data, Bluetooth etc.

If you use Twitter or Facebook, there are the official apps. I've tried a number of Twitter apps (many allow you to try before buying), but it depends on your taste. Skype is also a good option to consider if you've used it on computer, the only thing is that you can't attach pictures in Windows Phone version. I also tried a number of travel apps (for buses, trains etc) but how good they are is dependent on where you live.

I'm sure others can give you some suggestions, but those are some of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 12:00:13 GMT
thanks for that I just downloaded! Finally!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 12:04:00 GMT
As i said I use the sky drive app - hopefully one day Ill be able to stream my music direct from it. Kindle, translator, ministry of sound, SPOTIFY!!!, outlook, BBC news, Guardian, 6 week training, 7 digital, bbc radio 1 player, Bender ;-), xe currency, ebay, flashlight, LINE, Microsoft office app, one note, pdf reader (good for downloaded ebooks) sit up trainer, skype, task list, whatsapp and many more...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›