5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid and Fun Game of Slaughter!, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) (Video Game)
Before release I had a feeling Wolfenstein was going to be good. The feeling was so strong that I pre-ordered even though Watch Dogs was barely a week away. What I didn’t expect, though, was a 10/10 experience and a game that is now my favourite on the PS4. The gameplay is smooth and fluid, the aiming accurate and the blood-splatter suitably gory and over-the-top. The guns feel heavy and satisfying, and when a Nazi literally explodes leaving nothing but a rifle to remember him by, it leaves you feeling decidedly gleeful. There are plenty of collectables to search for and lots of trophies for the hunters among us. The story is solid, interesting and, at times, thought-provoking and emotional. The cut scenes blend in nicely with gameplay and are graphically outstanding.

The game runs at 1080p and 60FPS. I admit numbers like this don’t do a lot for me. I’ve no idea how the same game would look at 30FPS, for example. What I can say is that on my 47” TV, it looks fabulous. Detailed scenery, realistic skin and environmental textures, no juddering, no popping in and out – just smooth graphics that run with absolute perfection. It’s a beautiful looking game. The sound, also, is damn good. I used headphones so I could slaughter my enemies without disturbing the neighbours. It really is an immersive and intense experience with the sound cranked up and so I apologise to my neighbours for the intermittent screaming and war cries. It seems I may have disturbed them after all.

There is a wide range of difficulty levels that make Wolfenstein incredibly accessible. It means the game is fun, exciting and challenging for all skill levels, from total beginners to hardened First Person Shooter enthusiasts. If you don’t want to get shot in the back and die 20 times per hour every hour, there is a difficulty level for you. No one will ever be alienated by overly-hard gameplay, and those who need it good and hard will most certainly get it.

My only gripe is that Blazkowicz is not a massively agile character when it comes to flying leaps, so on the very rare occasion that you are called to sprint and jump, he often doesn’t make it. It almost feels like his physical bulk and the weight of his many guns is too heavy to carry him over any substantial gaps. Then again, it could just be User Error or User Too Excited Shooting Nazis to perform the jump correctly.

There is no multiplayer to extend the life of the game, but I am thankful for that. I don’t think every game needs a multiplayer option (and some developers need to concentrate on getting the single player campaign right first). It is worth noting, however, that due to a horrific decision you will have to make at the beginning of the game, there are two timelines. I’ve only played one all the way through so I have no idea how much the other timeline differs, but it does mean you have a good excuse for a second play-through.

Wolfenstein is a solid buy. You just can’t go wrong. Gameplay, graphics, sound, story, accessibility – boxes all ticked and money well spent. I had planned to trade this in next month, but I think I’ll hang on to it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Jun 2014 11:30:41 BDT
Avatouir says:
I actually found myself playing WNO for the plat (note if you get all the enigma codes you can get the Uber trophy playing the game on 999 mode) and enjoying far more than watch dogs. Totally agree that Wolfenstein was surprisingly pretty good whereas WD is proving real hard work to complete. Too many Assassins Creed inspired missions, you know the ones everybody hates? Tail x eavesdrop y (yawn) and then the checkpoints are miles apart.
I'd say sell Watch Dogs and get Wolfenstein instead!
Great review

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2014 05:38:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2014 05:41:24 BDT
Richard Dale says:
Totally agree, this is a fantastic game that didn't get the praise in the gaming press it deserved. IGN gave sniper elite an 8.2 and WNO a 7.8 just a joke IMO. My only slight complaint with WNO are the pointless but admittedly short sections where you have to find items to progress the story. Just don't understand the point of these but they in no way detract from what is IMO one of the best, if not the best shooter I've played in years.

Posted on 3 Jul 2014 11:01:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2014 11:01:48 BDT
D. Butcher says:
Great Review.

Have you played through the second timeline yet?

This game could be what I am looking for, but a few weeks and that price may drop becuase it has no multiplayer..then again PS4 still in infancy so maybe it will stay at current levels.

I loved SOF on PS3 (not the latest one) and R2CW on PS3 - glorious over the top violence, that makes you laugh at times it is so ridiculous - like watching Sucker Punch on Blu Ray.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (148 customer reviews)

£59.99 £29.99