Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant earphones at the price level., 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Nocs NS800 Stainless Earphones with Remote and Mic (Balanced Armature) - Black (Electronics)
tl;dr at the bottom

I have owned expensive IEMs in the past, but they broke a while ago and I've been surviving on <£50 for quite a while now, so I am by no means an expert.
These earphones have had 12 hours of burning in time now so I trust they are at their full capacity to play music. Also burning in isn't proven so I don't know if this makes too much difference anyway.

The earphones themselves come in a well insulated box, so no fears of a damaged item. In the box comes an adapter for aeroplanes and the usual set of silicone earbud tips you put on the monitor. MAJOR PLUS POINT: there are two of each size of earbud tip. Whilst they fit very snugly on the IEMs I'm sure I'll lose one at some point so this is brilliant.
The silicone feels fine in my ear and all three sizes (S, M, L) fit well, I chose the small variety as this seemed to have the best seal. There's also a plastic crocodile clip to attach the cable to your shirt or something, this is detachable and is not on when you open the box.

The monitors are made of brushed stainless steel and the design is such that I'm sure if I hit them with a hammer they would stay in one piece. These guys are not breaking.
The cable is NOT detachable. Doesn't really matter at this price, but it might be worth noting that Shure's SE315 earphones have got detachable cable if you're worried about that. I'm not worried though and it's not a flimsy cable by any means and according to the user manual is "Kevlar reinforced".
There is a remote and a microphone supposedly only for Apple's iPhone, iPod and iPads, but I shall note here that on my Android Nexus 4 the middle button of the remote still plays and pauses and pressing two of the buttons at any one time activates voice searching and the mic works, but I haven't tested calling yet. Skip buttons DO NOT function for Android in my experience, but again, they don't claim to.
Of course having a remote means that if you want to keep the two earbuds next to each other with the slider, this will only go as far as the remote, but no biggy.
The 3.5mm plug is of the straight up variety. I prefer ones at 90 degrees, but this feels solid in it's rubber housing, I don't think it'll damage.

Most important thing really, best 'til last as they say.
The earphones produce clear sound. Certainly a great jump to what I've been hearing lately. As always with IEMs it's important you get the right seal in your ear.
The signiture of the earphones seems to be flat. I would say they're true to how the artists would have liked. Listening to a folk band I've seen live on quite a quiet volume produces all the sounds, there's need to turn these up too loud, quality comes low down.

Something more electronic/ bassy such as Icarus by Madeon is handled well by the IEMs. Bass is clear and other pitches do not distort even at the highest volume. There's a strong high and mid is acceptable.

These earphones can handle a guitar solo very well, no fear.

I'm not quite sure how a "Dual micro armature driver" works, but it seems to do it's job very well. It should be noted that these earphones are quite compact compared to other armature earphones (that's a good thing).

The sound isolation of these is pretty good, can't hear anything outside my own head and my music.
Noises from the cable are normal. No dampening much here, doesn't matter too much, but Klipsch's X10i earphones claim to eliminate it.

tl;dr: These are good solid earphones that produce a clear sound and do not feel vulnerable at this price. They are worth the £130 if you enjoy your music. To first time buyers of quite expensive IEMs these make a great first pair and you will hear sounds in your music you've never heard before.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jan 2013 15:38:11 GMT
Georg says:
Hi Adrian,

I also have a Nexus 4 and would love to hear your comment on how the mic is working when you talk to people. I really like to try these earphones, but I want to make sure that the mic will function on my Nexus 4.

Is the Nexus 4 you main player for these earphones?

Kind regards

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2013 21:56:05 GMT
Adrian says:

The sound I've been told sounds pretty good, I don't often call on headphones, but I did a few just to check. There can be issues with networks and so on, so I just plain old recorded myself and I sounded as crisp as you could expect and very good from a phone.

For what it's worth the Nexus 4 I've been told has a sound chip to behold. There's certainly no crackling of fuzzing going on whereas there is on my Nexus 7 and laptop.

‹ Previous 1 Next ›