5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious! Brittle. MOTH REPELLANT?!, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Ecozone Biobulb, Energy-Saving Daylight Bulb, Bayonet Cap B22, 25W Equivalent to 100w, 1750 Lumens, Full Spectrum, Daylight White 6500k, Uses 75% Less Energy. Ideal for suffers of S.A.D (Kitchen & Home)
I bought 3 of these lightbulbs as part of a big wellbeing upgrade to my bedroom. I'm a University student and as such my accomodation while studying is a little basic and old fashioned but these bulbs have absolutely changed everything. I was quite excited about recieving these and as well as the horrid yellow lights around the house I have a very yellow streetlight directly outside my window which tends to fill the room with an orange glow in the evening.

When I fit a bulb into my ceiling and switched it on for the first time, I was astounded. You'd have thought this is one of those things that just makes a subtle, concentrated difference for the sake of your wellbeing but NO! The difference is immediately substantial! It looks eerily blue at first and takes a couple of minutes to get used to but after a while you genuinely get the illusion of a sunny day in the room! Words simply cannot give a justified description of how much more pleasant it makes any room. Some people might find it a little bit too bright and harsh, so my advice would be to use them in dark coloured or semi-enclosed lampshades just to take the edge off a bit. If you want these for, say a desk lamp, by all means give it a go, (I did) but just bear in mind these things are BRIGHT.

But it's not so much the brightness that I bought these for, it's the colour. I've actually had neighbours speaking to me when I leave the house saying they've noticed all the other houses in the terrace have yellow light coming out of the windows but my house is PLATINUM WHITE, and it really really does look astonishing from outside. After a couple of minutes in a room with these bulbs, you just look back out to the light coming up from your hall downstairs and it looks insipid and golden. It's absolutely bizarre but I am SO happy with these.

The ONE downside is that the glass is actually very brittle, so be very gentle and careful when fitting them, especially with the bayonet caps!
Other than that, it's really down to personal preference. If you suffer from seasonal affective disorder then these bulbs will change your life, because you can use them during a gloomy day to cheer the house up! If you simply don't like a dull yellow glow in your entire house, get some of these now, I promise you'll love them!

I didn't like the yellow, now I am bathing in glorious platinum. Best thing I've bought on Amazon in 6 years, if only they weren't so easy to break!

UPDATE: It's still a little early in the year to know for sure... but.... THESE THINGS REPEL MOTHS!!!!!!!!

Think about it. Why do moths hide away in daylight but are attracted to flourescent yellow light? They must think it's daytime in my room now because I haven't seen a single one crowding my window pane at night since!!

[Add comment]