5.0 out of 5 stars Apache is a girl's book..., 19 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Apache (Paperback)
Apache is a girl's book! Ok, ok, so it's really a boys book but don't be fooled by the stereotypically masculine cover and the macho hard hitting words, it really is a girl's book too.

How did I end up reading it? 3 grown men in my family have read it and they've all had big crocodile tears rolling down their faces, I swear. I've seen them punch the air in triumph, explode in raucous hilarity and then sit giggling for hours as they read on. I even had to endure the constant "you're never going to believe this", "this is incredible" and after catching them try to hide their damp cheeks "you're going to have to read this". If that wasn't bad enough I was then shown the footage online. "Yeah alright, I get the point; it's a true story..." I thought my hubby was arguably sad for sitting up until 3am in the morning reading and finally when he'd finished it I was a happy lady.
Apache was sat on the kitchen table waiting to be loaned out (yet again) and whilst waiting for a cake to bake (sorry, they don't all come from the supermarket!) I had a peek at the pictures. By pure accident I started reading the text next to the pictures on page 102. I burst out laughing and found myself engrossed in no time (a girl Apache pilot, never!). For the next 2 days I couldn't pull myself way from it. I tried, I really couldn't and he had to put up with the bedroom lamp on until 3 in the morning for once.

I took it to book club and all the ladies reluctantly purchased it and began reading. Remarkably they ended up sitting up until all hours too and it's the first time we've all completed a book in the same week. The comments were unanimous. We all experienced every emotion possible and couldn't quite believe we would like a book about a current war. This isn't for the faint hearted either. If you have a family member serving in Afghanistan and don't want to know the very scary truth, give it a wide berth; it will suck you in and before you know it you will be crying with worry. I've never felt so compelled to write a book review before, despite being an ardent reader. Pleasingly it doesn't go into politics or question what we are doing in Afghanistan in the first place. It just tells the story of what it's like to fight in the world's most hostile country. It's a firsthand account of what it's like to do the job so many of us wish would never have to be done in the first place. You will really feel like you're in the helicopter and that you're making Ed Macy's decisions for him. It's surreal to be that immersed and absorbed in another world. In fact, so bizarre I found my heart racing and often worried if I would make it out alive - 'IT'S JUST A BOOK' for Christ's sake! Whether you're for or against the armed forces, or the war in Afghanistan, or of a need to fight instead of talking, you will have no doubt after you finish Apache that this is simply a book about what our young men and women have to put up with everyday. Rightly or wrongly, they're our children getting paid to do a job, that's all. If there's one thing I've learned (and I learned a lot reading Apache) it's that our troops are compassionate and care for the Afghans. There is no macho attitude or killing spree going on. The Apaches are governed by very strict rules when it comes to shooting and the pilots always think about the effect they will have - often choosing not to shoot rather than risk hitting a house (just in case there's someone at home in the warzone/greenzone!)
Afterwards I felt like I could fly an Apache but then I pinched myself and decided to stick to cakes. It's a real rollercoaster of a ride so don't say I didn't warn you.
Kitchen Diva

PS. I'm new to reviewing so I hope I haven't gone on too much. Oh, have a box of tissues ready when they go into the fort (men included) and don't put a cake in the oven....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jan 2010 22:12:04 GMT
tallpete33 says:
Great review KD, keep if it up :o)

Gonna have to buy Hellfire now!

Posted on 8 Jul 2010 13:38:46 BDT
What a smashing review! Thanks loads, it was you that persuaded me to buy this book. Now all I have to do is read it...

Posted on 11 Mar 2011 05:37:35 GMT
M. J. Grant says:
Kitchen Diva, I'm going to buy this book - based on your passionate review! Keep writing! (smile)

Posted on 24 Mar 2011 09:32:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Mar 2011 09:35:47 GMT
M. Foley says:
One of the best review I have ever read, I have read the book and am now reading hellfire( just as good as Apache) was looking to see what else was out there and came across this review.

Posted on 28 Jul 2011 10:41:25 BDT
Goldie says:
What a wonderful review! I don't think I'll bother reading any others! I was sold on your first line. Great work - I'm buying this for my partner and will definitely have a look at it myself when it arrives - thanks!

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 11:03:38 GMT
M. A. Shah says:
HI Kitchen Diva,
After reading your entertaining and realistic review from a female perspective, I feel compelled to read this book. Please do keep posting your reviews. Also, will be checking out hellfire now.

Posted on 11 Jul 2014 11:20:25 BDT
powderfinger says:
I came to this page to write my own review of this fantastic book, but after stumbling on your review I see I need not spend any time doing so, as you've said it all already.
One of the best reviews I've read.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›