5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!!!, 18 Dec 2007
This review is from: Aikido in Everyday Life: Giving in to Get Your Way (Paperback)
This book is badly written - there is little doubt about it. Indeed the first few chapters are a bit of a slog to get through - I admit that too. But then there is something that sparks to life like a burning match - as the authors explain the psychology of aikido and verbal hosility. They then present the subject in terms of various shapes. Ordinarily such a notion would be lost on me but when you really think about its sense you begin to understand that you can win most arguments hands down - and mostly by taking care of the agressor. By that I mean showing that you care.

There are obvious striking faults with this book. It hasn't aged very well and so on, but I would never dare to sell or lend out my personal copy, not for a thousand pounds. I keep my copy safe. I know I will need it one day again - probably when I have forgotten to understand my oponent.

I am very careful nowadays never to say something cruel even to the nastiest of people because of this book. Why? What are we taught to do when somebody says or does something bad towards us? Well we hit them back or say something horrid in return. They then do or say something much worse - until such a time the argument has spiraled out of control or until one side gives in. That is inneficient in terms of energy and success. If your opponent is prepared to hit harder than you or say something more hurtful, you're done for.

Have none of it, Aikido and this book will show you how to deal with difficult people and difficult situations as if you were fighting them on the mat at your local aikido club.

You've read thus far, you must be interested in this book, therefore buy it! You can only lose a few pounds. If I am wrong you can always mark this review down!

You will have got your revenge on me! What have you got to lose? I'd give the book to the General of the British Army if I could - we'd have a much more peaceful world that's for sure!!!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]