3.0 out of 5 stars A thing or two for publishers to consider about premium packaging and sci-fi fans, 11 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Lost: The Complete Seasons 1-6 Premium Box Set with Senet Board Game [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Looks can be deceptive, especially if you've looked at the image that's been sitting at the top of this page for the past couple of months. I was surprised when I opened the parcel to see the size of this box set. My initial reaction was that I'd been sent the vanilla set by mistake. But no. The premium edition is much smaller than I was expecting and certainly a different shape (see my own photos in the images section). That will bother some of you but the surprise for me was a pleasant one. I wondered where I was going to find room for such a thing, now that problem is eased.

The Senet game comes in a compact and unspectacular box as well but the pieces are of a decent quality. I'll never play it, of course. Who will? So, yeah, the game could have done with more exciting packaging but, oh well, we're ultimately here for the Blu-rays. Even these are going to be a bone of contention for some to chew on - no slipcases, no digipaks, just boring old regular Blu-ray cases. The first three seasons also come in wider cases than the last three. This last point is understandable as the earlier seasons are longer, but I bet it annoys some of you that they don't all follow the exact same style. It annoys my inner nerd's OCD a little...

Five sides of the outer box are made from good, sturdy card with a nice spot varnish finish, but the rear side is a cheap piece of detachable card, which isn't all that impressive. Beyond that, you get a flimsy episode guide booklet and the bonus disc, which does in fact have some good stuff on it that I'm not here to spoil. I do have misgivings over the misleading images and the way in which consumers this side of the pond are treated but the truth is I'm satisfied with what I've got. I never wanted a cumbersome pyramid like they got in the US in the first place. It would, however, be foolish of me to expect all Lost fans to feel the same and happily settle for less. This should be something for the hardcore fanatics and collectors and it doesn't really feel like that at all.

I was well aware of the furore from fans over how this has been handled. From a design and contents point of view, it's inferior to the US release and we had to wait over a month for it while a different, lesser set was offered to us. And now the premium box has turned out to be little more than the vanilla edition with an added Senet game that you'll never play. So it's an odd proposition. This premium edition isn't particularly premium in terms of quality but, when compared to the alternative set, it's not being sold at the premium price either, it's actually the cheaper of the two at the time of writing. Bizarre. But you've watched Lost so you know it's not worth looking for the answers to some mysteries.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Oct 2010 18:04:41 BDT
Thanks for the review. Still looking forward to getting it. If Amazon ever get round to sending it. !!!

Posted on 12 Oct 2010 07:16:43 BDT
J. Campbell says:
Thanks for the post and pictures. I actually ordered this in the hope that it was a small box unlike the US one. I have Tardis' Cyberheads, STNG Plastic Pods etc. that won't fit on my DVD/BR shelves so a Pyramid was going to just clutter the room further... And this version was cheaper for me than the US one as I'm currently in Australia and get it VAT free... and for 1/3rd the postage that Amazon.com charge... go figure.

Anyhow... it's on the jet in Frankfurt at the moment. May get here for the weekend.

Posted on 12 Oct 2010 15:26:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Oct 2010 15:27:41 BDT
Seoman says:
Why, why, why are those studios never able to at least make the individual season boxes look the same? Judging by your photos, no 2 season boxes have the same design. How stupid is that??? Otherwise I don't really mind the differences to the US-Box.

But does the US-Box also have all different looking season boxes inside?

Posted on 12 Oct 2010 18:51:49 BDT
mate I just got home and saw the crap that is being passed off as a "premium" edition in this country and lets just say that I am not impressed.

am sending it back and ordering the american one.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2010 01:26:15 BDT
You do know that only for out of the six seasons work on a UK blu-ray player. Oh and factor in the chance of a £40 tax hit.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2010 23:25:56 BDT
In the US one you have special sleeves, all identical, that hold the Blu Rays. These also fit inside a special box in themsleves. Its all very well made and very slick.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2010 23:45:44 GMT
Ooh yeah, getting your discs in cardboard slits, the packaging of choice for free promotional DVD's with the Sunday newspaper...very slick. Cough! Ahem...

Thank GOD there is a vanilla complete Blu-ray set, with cases and spindles and no boredgame[sic] that I'd only ever play were I stuck on a desert island (pun intended). :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2010 00:04:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Dec 2010 00:07:07 GMT
As mentioned in previous posts, horses for courses. You evidently prefer the plain vanilla set, which is fine, for you. Myself, and some others, prefer editions to our favourite films or tv shows in one off sets. Point of this thread, for us, is to compare and contrast the UK and US ones. No puns, not intended, bit old and I have no need to demean anyone behind a witty faceless post. In hindsight, months after this thread ended, I still prefer the US one, especially the folders.

So enjoy, either set.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2010 00:22:48 GMT
Oh don't get me wrong... I also prefer *special* one-off sets of my favourite films and shows. When they ARE special, that is. I have some amazing collector's editions and premium sets. However, from top to bottom, the 'premium' version of Lost on DVD AND Blu-ray was ill thought out and a total anti-climax. On Amazon UK, as the US set has a small few extras over the UK version, it seems to gain a little kudos - but even the US premium version was widely derided as not being good enough on many Lost and AV forums. It just wasn't special enough...not for a show such as this anyway. That is what made the vanilla set so appealing to me. When The Prisoner released on Blu-ray, an exclusive book (a thick one at that) unavailable anywhere else came with the premium version. That was the sort of thing many Lost fans were holding out for. But a boredgame[sic] that will be played once at most? Totally the wrong demographic for such a thing.

As regards actually preferring cardboard slits for optical media, well...the human mind can convince itself of anything when enough money has been shelled out. All I know is there was a hell of a lot of debate and complaining going on over the pond...where they had no choice of packaging. The same thing caused absolute furore when they did that with the US release of the complete Stargate SG1 set. Like I say...it's the packaging of choice for free promo DVD's and broadband starter discs. As you say though....horses for courses.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2010 00:42:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Dec 2010 00:44:11 GMT
Don't disagree on the boredgame, and in hindsight and now you mention it a book of some sorts, say an abridged version of the encyclopedia would have been good. But for me the set is sublime and well thought out. US one that is. In context of the box, when you see and touch it in person, the type of case for the discs makes total sense and fits inside perfect. But I don't mind the boredgame that much and again it's well made and in context of the US set and it's design works well. While the items can seem a touch odd, torch et al, I found it fun and in years to come something I am happy to keep. No idea what prices are now but if your in the Market for a set, hands down this beats the UK one still if you like it or not, as there is no other I am aware of planned. Of course if your not, as I have said before, get the vanilla one, makes much more sense....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›