5.0 out of 5 stars Oh what a joy!, 7 Feb 2007
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Hardcover)
I'm usually into thrillers but saw Pam Ayres promoting her book on the TV and asked my husband to get it for me as one of my Christmas presents, saying that I could do with a giggle.

Well, what can I say? First thing that struck me was that whilst reading it, (to myself, not even out loud), I found that I was reading it with an endearing Pam Ayres accent! Couldn't help myself and it just made it all so much more real somehow.

Her tales of times growing up brought back lots of lovely memories of my own happy childhood. Wish I'd known about that handy trick to catch crayfish though, love those.

All the tales are just so what could happen to any of us and probably has or will at some point in our lives but she just has such a wonderful way of expressing them.

I foolishly started reading this just before bedtime and naturally couldn't put it down until it was finished. Resulting in some very strange sideways glances from my almost sleeping husband as I tried to stifle my chuckles once I'd made it up to bed with the book.

This was a real pleasure to read and some welcome light relief from my usual genre of thrillers. I've never read any Pam Ayres books before, but will certainly be reading more in future. I'm sure her older works are equally as laughable.

[Add comment]