5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic laptop, shame my amazon order was stolen by Hermes courier..., 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Acer C720 11.6-inch Chromebook (Silver) - (Intel Celeron 1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Google Chrome) (Personal Computers)
I wanted a new lightweight laptop to replace a very old Sony Vaio running windows XP, it had got to the point where the disk was full, the drivers were out of date, and XP complained every startup about sending error reports and failed updates.

I decided to try a Chromebook - I had read a bit about ChromeOS but wasn't sure it would do everything I wanted.

I knew that a Chromebook was a completely different beast than a standard laptop - the operating system is basically a browser window, but it's one that is lightning fast and will never get bogged down by updates, drivers, dodgy apps or viruses.

I am glad to say it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far, from word processing to offline gmail and even image manipulation (although I wouldn't say the web-based photo editor was a replacement for photoshop).

My ease of getting into the chromebook is probably due to me already using a lot of Google services, so there is less culture-shock. If you are already using gmail, google drive + docs etc, then you'll wonder why you didn't move to a Chromebook earlier, however if you don't have a google account and regularly use itunes then there may be an adjustment period whilst you get your head around how to do things "in the cloud".

The keyboard has a nice feel and is easy to get used to. The screen is small but clear, and is high-res enough to get a decent amount of text or web page on without having to zoom out. Battery life is fantastic and charges quickly. SSD is fast and silent, as are the fans - I had to hold it up to my ear to even hear the laptop when it was on, it's practically silent which is a huge bonus.

It's perfect for my use - I'm even using it as my main work laptop, working from 2 locations everything is neat, self-contained and more importantly it's still blisteringly fast and I can use my required SSH remote connections via a nifty app.

The only (quite large) downside was that my lovely Hermes delivery person stole the laptop - the online tracking saying it had been 'delivered to shed' when the shed was locked and no card through the door. It never turned up and I got a refund from amazon and bought my chromebook from PC World - same price and no thieves to steal it this time fortunately.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]