4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, well designed and comfortable, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Ultrasport Ski/Snowboard Helmet Race Edition (Sports)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not being a great skier I've been thinking about getting a helmet for a couple of seasons, especially given the propensity of poor skiers out there who tend to go too fast, don't know how to stop and don't know that people downslope have priority. I've already had one person run into me and tear a tendon in my hand, so head protection seems in order.

This helmet looked the job. For a start it looks pretty cool, with a racy form made from nice matt black plastic. The helmet is sculpted in such a way as to hold the strap of your goggles in place. There's also fixing strap at the back of the helmet, which closes with a pop stud to keep your goggles with you if you should wipe out and knock them loose.

The removable ear-warmers integrate into the straps do a good job of covering your ears, but have mesh in them so that you don't end up deaf to your ski buddies. (Last year one of our friends never knew when we were talking to her because of her ear pads). They're also positioned in such a way that they don't put pressure on the arms of your sunglasses should goggles not be necessary.

The chin strap fastener can be opened and closed by gloved hands, though it is a little fiddly, while the head tightness is adjusted by a knob set at the back of the head, which can be adjusted by gloved fingers. There's also plenty of aeration to prevent you head getting too hot and sweaty and the whole thing is nice and light. The ventilation is not, as has been pointed out elsewhere, adjustable, so in really poor conditions you might suffer from head freeze.

Impact protection is certified, so you can only hope that it is sufficient, without taking a knock I couldn't really say. It is certainly better than nothing at all.

On to the bad points; Getting back to the non-adjustable ventilation, the holes in the helmet are covered by pieces plastic mesh which, on my helmet, are not stuck down properly and instead of keeping snow out of the holes they drift around between the inner impact protection and the hard outer shell.

The ear pads, once removed, are tricky to reattach since they have plastic tabs that slide between the outer shell and the inner foam. Get this wrong and you can end up detaching yet more of the mesh from behind the side aeration holes. I can only assume that the removal of the ear pads is what is meant by "adjustable ventilation" in the product description.

Unlike another reviewer I have no issues with any of the helmet's straps, nothing cuts into my neck or chaffs in any other way. My head also feels protected from all angles, including the base of the skull. I can only assume the other reviewer didn't get the sizing correct. I know I have a big head (I can never borrow hats) and went for the XL size, which fits me very well. The straps hold the helmet securely without causing any discomfort or any reduction in mobility.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this helmet, but I only ski one week per year and not usually in the coldest season. The fact that parts of the helmet are already coming loose is not encouraging, but they're minor parts and I think I'll get 2 or 3 seasons' use out of it all the same. Looking at other products in the same price range I wouldn't say this one is a bad final choice. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars if I could, but 3 seems a little mean.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]