3.0 out of 5 stars A staccato study in melancholy, 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: Words For You (Audio CD)
Don't give this to your granny for Christmas unless you want her to commit suicide.

I also heard Geoffrey Palmer reading an excerpt on the radio and thought that it would be a great gift for an elderly relative.

The crystal case is not sealed so I took the opportunity of listening to the cd before wrapping it up, and I'm afraid that I'm going to be looking for a different gift for gran. The poems are, in the main, beautifully read and the music is lovely. However, most of the poems are fairly short and they are very close together so that when one finishes another starts pretty much immediately. As far as the poetry is concerned this would be OK, but we get the situation where the backing music stops and we go straight into another composition. Very frustrating if one of your favourite pieces is being played, stops, and then another piece starts up as a new poem is read. OK, I suppose, for those with a short attention span, but I feel that it might have been better if we had a longer musical piece with maybe a sequence of poems being read over it.

However, the main theme of the poems seemed to be death, and this I found extremely depressing. There is plenty of upbeat poetry around but this cd is lacking in that.

This is a good product if you want to dip in and hear an occasional poem being read, but if you intend to listen to it all the way through then make sure there are no sharp knives around.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Nov 2009 17:40:21 GMT
C. Simpson says:
I have bought all my oldies this CD for Xmas, my mother got her copy the other day and has asked me to buy 8 more copies for her friends. I don't think Teddy Boy is target market and I guess he can he buy granny bath salts (again).

He probably didn't notice that it the artists involved are donating their royalties to a charity which helps children who struggle to speak and understand words.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2009 11:59:01 GMT
Road Rocket says:
I disagree. I think Teddy Boy has given a refreshingly honest review. I happen to enjoy this CD but I can understand what TB is getting at although I think he goes too far in relating all the poems to death.

Posted on 16 Dec 2009 00:19:52 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Dec 2009 14:34:15 GMT]

Posted on 6 Jan 2011 13:47:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2011 13:48:47 GMT
Robert Park says:
Interesting comment TB and undoubtedly this is why you were not selected to produce it. All music CDs, for example, have the same feature but I cannot recall any criticism to those. Anyone who feels threatened by sentiments of death beautifully expressed may have suffered trauma in their past and probably in infancy. From what you say it does not sound as if the CD has any problems.

Posted on 22 Sep 2011 02:38:31 BDT
red reader says:
I totally agree with Teddy Boy. There is far too much of the 'death' poems and the fading out of the music I found very irritating. Again I agree that a longer piece of music with a series of poems read over it would be much better than having a piece cut short and then a new piece introduced. I was quite disappointed in this CD.
C.J.H.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (106 customer reviews)

Reviewer