4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Nikon 1 V1 Compact System Camera with 10-30mm and 30-110mm Double Lens Kit - Black (10.1MP) 3 inch LCD (Camera)
I'm always looking for a small, good quality interchangeable lens camera to use while walking. I have done three long distance walks recently and love to combine this with a passion for photography.

The Nikon v1 Is intriguing. Some say it is too large for its sensor size. I disagree. I have large hands and would struggle with anything smaller. What are small are the lenses and this is where the v1 wins hands down over other mirrorless cameras. The 30-110mm warrants particular mention. It is much smaller than the comparable lens offerings from Panasonic, Sony, Olympus, etc.

I used it for the first time on a walk in the Peak District. The v1 and 10-30mm fitted into a pocket in my jacket and was easy to get out and take photographs quickly. I have previously had to use a specific camera bag for my camera, fitted to a belt or on a strap, which meant it took longer to take shots. Watch out for the small lens cap and also the accessory cover; both can come off if you're not careful. I'm already considering taping over the accessory cover, if not it WILL get lost!

What about image quality? Well initially I am impressed. Focus is quick and accurate, the dynamic range is good, particularly using d-lighting and exposure was spot on. I often use bracketing with my photography and miss this option on the v1 but exposure compensation was only a button press away. It was certainly needed as we had snow covering the higher areas of the Peaks.

I intend to get the mount adapter to use with my other Nikon lenses and hope this will open up some interesting possibilities with long telephoto work.

I have limited experience with the video functions but the slow motion is going to be a very interesting option. All in all this is a great little camera. There will be detractors, but what you have to do is consider this as a new format. If you expect it to be a mini dSLR you will be disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jun 2012 21:42:40 BDT
PJM says:
Thank you for your very helpful review.

I would be interested to hear more re your comment, "If you expect it to be a mini dSLR you will be disappointed." After all, it is more expensive than some dSLRs. If I had £700 to spend and wanted the best quality should I steer clear?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2012 22:40:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jun 2012 22:44:34 BDT
I have a Nikon D700 and have also owned 7 other Nikon dSLRs over the last 7 years. A Nikon V1 is a fantastic camera, but it cannot give you the same functionality and image quality in some lighting conditions as a dSLR. My principal reason for buying it was size. I walk, climb and often camp out over night and carrying a dSLR and lenses takes up too much weight. The v1 and the two kit lenses give me the same focal length coverage but at about 60% of the weight. A dSLR has more functionality if you want to move away from auto settings. Saying that I have been extremely pleased with the quality of images I produce with this camera; it is a trade off between size and functionality. Should it be as much as it is? Probably no, but on a personal level it delivers what I need. I have taken more than 10,000 images with this camera this year alone and produced images I am very happy to put into competition. Perhaps I am fortunate that my expereince allows me to make the most of the camera.

If I was looking to spend £700 and wanted the best quality and size was not a factor in mydecision I would choose the new Nikon D3200 twin lens kit - you will not be disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2013 22:58:00 GMT
Barry Ross says:
I agree with much of what you say Graham but if you haven't used a D3200 I'd be careful about recommending one. I have used various Nikon entry to upper entry level DSLRs - D40, D60, D5000 and D5100 along with other brands. I tried two D3200s when they were released and was quite disappointed with them, considering its target market is entry level users. I think the problem lies with using a very high megapixel sensor. From what I can tell these really require almost professional quality lens to get good results. Most entry level users will be sold on it by thinking more megapixels must be better. This actually isn't the case in my experience. Having used the V1 I would recommend that over the D3200 unless a DSLR's features are truly required. Then a D5000, D5100 or similar offerings from other brands might be a better choice.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›