5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money!, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Bose ® AE2 Audio Headphones - Black (Electronics)
This is a somewhat brief review of the AE2's:

VALUE
As a student who works part time, these came in at the 'affordable' level. This is going to be different for everybody, based on what they have bought previously and how much they expect to use it. As someone who listens to hours of music and podcasts a day whilst travelling or completing coursework, I found the price slightly easier to justify. Like I said, this is going to vary between person to person. £130 isn't cheap, and people are always going to argue that their '£5' headphones from Argos sound perfect! Consider how much you are planning to use them, and if the time is quite significant, then make sure your investment is also significant. I would personally based on my somewhat extensive experience of many different brands, that these headphones are some of the best for what you get. Audiophiles will argue that Sennheiser is a better option, but I personally find them to be very uncomfortable.

I also had to consider that I will use these when I go off to University in September, so they will hopefully last for at least 4 years.

DESIGN/AESTHETICS
This may be important to some potential buyers! As someone who is personally not very interested in 'cool' looking headphones, this was not a major factor when it came to making a decision. There are other brands out there that will 'turn peoples heads' on the street *cough* Beats *cough*, so if you are looking for some ostentatious headphones such as those, this may put you off. By no means do these headphones look ugly however, it's just that the focus of the product was definitely on sound quality and durability as opposed to style. This suits me however, and I actually like the look of them a lot. If you want something cool, first maybe try them out in a store to see if it meets your needs!

SOUND
The sound quality is superb! The only real way to see if this is exactly what you want is to try them out for yourself. This is exactly what I did in my local John Lewis, and this helped to make my decision. Different headphones have different preference from their users based on the music they listen to. Some brands boast booming bass, while some higher clarity or fidelity. As someone who listens to a diverse range of music, (pop, techno, classical, rock, alternative) the AE2s seemed to come across as adept 'all rounders'. They do somewhat lack bass if you indulge in dubstep, or heavy metal is your forté, though this can be altered in most smartphone/iPod/device EQ's. As a general user who appreciates good music, I won't lie and say I am an audiophile. However, I will argue that these headphones DO sound better than a lot of the brands I have tried out. I will stress however, that this is my opinion, and it is key that you make your own decision through personal testing. That is the only way that you will know if you are happy with your choice.

DURABILITY
The material used is hard plastic. At first touch they appear to be somewhat flimsy or poorly constructed. However, they are very strong and have taken many a journey in my coat pocket or bag unscathed. As a result of their design, they are quite light. This is nice and adds to the comfort of the headphones substantially.

COMFORT
This was one of the most important aspects for me when it came to choosing a pair of headphones to purchase. As much as I appreciate good quality music, there is no point if the headphones themselves cannot be worn for long periods of time or hurt your ears. These are so comfortable, I often forget them are on my head! The ear cups have a around-ear design that sits snugly around the ear and does not push hard against the head at all. If you plan to use headphones on a daily basis, this should be one of your key factors when you make a decision. Again, I would advise trying these out, then you will be able to fully experience the goodness!

EXTRA/s
The final thing I would like to note is that the AE2s have a cable that runs from the headphones to the devices. The cable DOES plug out of the headphones however! This means that if the cable snags/breaks/is chewed upon/severed, you can simply buy a new one! I have been through 6 (yes, six) pairs of earphones, each of which broke in succession through snagging on nearby furniture or on public transport. As I expect this to be inevitable with these, it is comforting to know that I can simply purchase a replacement cable for £5. This may not be of interest to you, but I though I would point it out since this greatly impacted my decision to purchase these, given the large investment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jun 2015 15:40:13 BDT
Emad Ahmed says:
This review is magnificently helpful. i loved the way you divided the view into different aspects. I already have one headphone from Bose (Bose® QuietComfort® 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones), however, I red your review because I wasn't sure whether to spend my money on a new one or not. Especially, because mine is still quiet new (6 months old) haven't used it that much.
Thank you very much Addie...

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2015 11:15:20 BDT
Addie says:
I'm glad you found it useful! I like to make a point of reviewing someone when I think it is excellent, as too often people will only make the effort to speak up about a product when it is dreadful and they make a complaint. I hope you enjoy them if you do buy them!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›