3.0 out of 5 stars Very so so, 1 Aug 2012
This review is from: Knitting in Circles (Hardcover)
I have loved the books I have by this author, Over the Edge is excellent, Felted Bags very enjoyable and the Blocks book is so useful - this one just doesn't inspire me at all - I thought from the cover that it would. I decided this was one of those "I want that" books, and I'm so disappointed with the contents. True there are about 100 different circles, some lovely, some basic and boring, however, the items made from these are horrible in my opinion.
I'd be embarrassed to be seen in some of them, as I couldn't think of anything to make using circles (apart from Tams or berets) I was hoping for something wonderful but sadly, not in this book, not for me. The three stars reflect the choice of circles to make, the instructions seem fine (what I've read so far) and the clear information relating to tension (guage) and different yarns used.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Aug 2012 14:46:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2012 14:49:51 BDT
Thank you for your honest feedback. As having flicked through this book in waterstones I can also "see" that the photos on the front of this book suggest a wonderful plethora of patterns and exciting innovation inside but when opening it, one finds nothing to get excited about!. I too have all other books from this author and they are wonderful, and I was hoping to find more of the same delicious inspired patterns from this lovely designer.But Not so! With this latest book I am truely disappointed to discover not only does it not give anything but beautiful photography it is let down by its lack of inventiveness of fresh pattern ideas I would learn nothing from or indeed want to make anything with. I will not be adding this publication to my library, as it it does nothing for me. I could write better myself and so indeed I will try ....

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2012 16:06:31 BDT
Thank you Sarah, I thought I might be getting picky (after all I couldn't even think of a way to use circles) reassuring to know at least one person has similar thoughts about this book.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 19:00:34 BDT
A. H. Ford says:
I too thank you for your honest appraisal. I thought the few garments shown in the pre view are awful. The only things I could think of to use the circles for are cushions, bags, beret or blankets. I won't bother. Thank you for saving me money!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 04:12:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Oct 2012 04:13:16 BDT
Thank you, on the subject of cushions (and I hadn't actually put my mind to them at the time of the initial review-too busy looking for something to wear!) the book does provide some rather nice circles which will make excellent cushion centres for my bedroom chair; and of course there's always Nicky's next book to look forward to - you can't please all of the people all of the time as the saying goes, but usually she does please me, so here's to the next one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (34 customer reviews)

Reviewer