5.0 out of 5 stars OMG Gorgeous, 30 Oct. 2010
This review is from: New Apple iMac 27" All-In-One Desktop PC (LED Backlit Screen, 2.8Ghz Quad Core, Core-i5, 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics, Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) (Launched July 2010) (Electronics)
One word GORGEOUS. The screen is stunning and the operating system a joy, this is what Vista wanted to be. Never crashes. My only reservation at this point is that the product like the Ipad is a sealed enclosure, if the hard drive fails then it is going to have to go back to the shop, there are really no user serviceable parts. I would recommend purchasing a 2 Terrabyte hard drive as using the Time Machine software which is built in this will backup your entire machine and give you peace of mind.

Other things: Incredibly quiet in operation
Keyboard will not be to everyones taste but is ok
Watch getting it out of the packaging as it is BIG, consider inviting a neighbour round to help you if you are single!
Lovely graphical transitions in the Operating system
Very fast operation, the OS was re-written in this version.
If you want a 'free' Office suite to go with this consider Open Office which runs well on this machine.
Plugs into your WiFi network with no hassle at all.

Fancy a swap from Windows, this is a no-brainer, lovely.

*****UPDATE: Had this machine about a year and a half now and still love it, get occasional problems with the wireless mouse losing its connection, this can be incredibly frustrating during a game, the solution to this is to connect a wired optical mouse via USB, currently I have a Microsoft optical mouse attached as I write this and it works fine! a mouse is a mouse! Also networking can be a little fiddly especially if you want to share folders between different operating systems.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jan 2011 10:09:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jan 2011 10:12:56 GMT
BruceB says:
Just a comment on the statement on it being a no-brainer to swap from Windows to this system.

I would agree as long as:
- you don't have a business need, and are a home user, or someone who just uses the classic Mac applications for design etc
- perhaps you are new to computing
- you don't have complex and diverse needs from a computer
- you like amazing ease of use
- you don't need to workshare with someone who has a Windows system [Bootcamp and virtual machines do NOT cut the mustard here]

I have a 27" iMac, bought before Christmas, but I need to retain Windows 7 through Bootcamp [virtual machines such as VMware don't suit serious purpose]. The iMac has practically been simply a Windows PC since I installed it, despite frequent attempts to get the same functionality from OSX as I have been accustomed to on my previous Windows PCs. While I can change to use design apps like Illustrator and PhotoShop on Mac OSX, which was expensive as I had to duplicate the cost of the Windows versions, the practical applications - MS Office - while pretty on the Mac in the 2011 versions, do not contain simple but critical function that the native Windows versions have. Just the lack of a 'fit to window' when copying spreadsheet cells to Word, renders MS Office on the Mac useless to me.

Mac OSX is fine, it is no more robust than Windows 7 on my system, and lacks the enhanced functionality of Windows. It does gain in ease of use in some areas, of course, and that is great as long as those areas are the focus of most use.

Point I am making - if you are a Windows user who has demanding needs of a computer, then look long and hard before switching, otherwise you will be buying a very expensive Windows machine if you need to use Bootcamp all the time. There are very good and practical reasons why such a small portion of the market is owned by Apple.

The inability to read/write files between the systems - NTFS is a no go area for Mac OSX for writing - is a major hurdle.

If I could go back to October, would I still buy the iMac? Actually, no, I wouldn't. I might not have spent a huge amount less in hardware terms for as well configured a PC, but on a practical level, it would have been more cost effective as I've had to spend over £1,000 in software to try and mimic the usability of the Windows system., and I still need Bootcamp for the critical Windows software run in native Windows.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2011 13:55:06 GMT
c howells says:
It also depends on what your business is. Graphics, web design, photography etc, the Mac is streets ahead at no extra cost. Added to which the maintenance etc easy, I am not a computer geek and I do the bulk of my own maintenance and upgrades on my Mac. With the PC it was ALWAYS a back to the shop job. Opening the case to fit memory, new hard drive or a botter DVD drive is a doddle.

In my former job the Mac would have been a struggle as the 'Work from home' applications would not work on any of the simulators. Office for Mac, however, was a far better solution for me and the company than the PC versions.

The stability of the Unix core within the OS was the main boon though I am less happy with Snow Leopard than I was with Leopard, and Tiger and Panther that preceded it.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2011 16:42:24 GMT
BruceB says:
As with so many things it is only realistic to view these things on a case-by-case, person-by-person basis.
I have both systems, so have no axe to grind. However, people read these reviews presumably to gain guidance, and I find that experience of use, rather than admiration of looks is the way I go.
I expected the graphics, web design, photography stuff to be better on the Mac, as it is primarily why I shifted platforms. In reality, the Mac is no better than a Windows system, in fact for Illustrator and PhotoShop, I believe the Windows platform is streets ahead in usability. iWeb is good, but no better than Serif's WebPlus, which is cheap software. iPhoto takes 4 minutes to start up on my quad processor system and nothing on the PC ever took that long. Linking of different file types across applications works - in my experience - better on Windows.
I have never in 25 years of using PCs needed to take one to a shop to fix anything, or to upgrade - taking PCs apart is like Lego, and I've done it many times.
I'll keep the iMac, though I suspect the Windows partition will be used most of the time, and the display is certainly the most outstanding I have seen. It is not all bad news - the accessibility of a large photographic library is certainly better on the iMac; I simply write my pictures first on Windows so it is organised the way I want, then import it to iPhoto or Aperture; I guess that is a sort of backup anyway... ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2011 10:36:48 GMT
Mr. M. Smith says:
I just bought an iMAC and bought a copy of Parallels which let me copy my old PC contents (WinXP, all the applications) to a virtual PC. I now have my old PC running faster on the iMAC than it did on the old PC and have lla my applications too. And you can run WinXP full screen or in a window. So I disagree with your comment about virtual machines not being up to professional use.

Considering that you get a high-spec PC with a gorgeous screen and have the whole thing in a single case, plus MacOS, plus the ability to have your old PC running in it as a virtual machine

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2011 13:33:58 GMT
BruceB says:
"So I disagree with your comment about virtual machines not being up to professional use." - of course it all depends on the definition of 'professional use', and that will vary according to the person.

In essence, in a different area, a parent taking children a mile to school in a large 4x4 may think it is the bees knees; a farmer who actually needs the 4x4 capability may differ, according to needs and terrain.

I'm extremely demanding on computer applications and resources, and my point was that virtual machines don't really manage it for me. So I dual boot on an admittedly fine looking system, mostly using Windows 7.

I selected VMware because of some negative reviews of Parallels, so I can't speak for that software. In a non work mode, VMware looks great and sharing screen space between the two systems looks good. In practice, and trying to do productive work, not so.

I'll let experience guide me regarding all in one systems. Yes, they take up less space, but lose one element and the lot is gone until fixed. On a discrete component system, swapouts can readily be made on the fly.

The display is undeniably good. I'm just waiting on some extra iMac software to try and complete the Mac/PC functionality, then I will give the Adobe CS5 software another go on the Mac, in a way that lets me write directly to NTSC volumes.

Mac vs PC is simply another episode of the systems differences debate. When I worked with mainframes and supercomputers in the 70s, 80s and 90s, it was all "commercial operating system" vs UNIX. I always chose the commercial stuff as that is where the key software was, for my career.

P.S. Windows actually looks much nicer on the iMac, too; it is that highest quality screen!

Posted on 11 Mar 2011 15:37:27 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Nov 2011 04:23:48 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2011 12:11:31 BDT
O E J says:
^^ Not good. Jennifer G Swift not the real name, methinks.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 17:32:01 GMT
AlexA says:
Recently read a review of Mac and Windows products which summed this up; Windows is for work, Apple is for Life. Yes I run Windows 7 as well and it is very good. I also run Adobe CS5 on the MAc and this is where the big screen pays off, I have tried using Adobe CS5.5 on the Windows machine running on a 17in screen and it is just not the same. One area that Macs have always been weak in is gaming and you cannot get recent titles on the Mac, I would prefer a fast windows machine for this any day. So, Yes, horses for courses. A.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›