ARRAY(0xa484b0a8)

3.0 out of 5 stars Under Review..., 14 Jun 2010
This review is from: Stones In Exile [DVD] [2010] [NTSC] (DVD)
Been looking forward to this DVD for a while now and I have to say I like it, and it's okay.

It's not as comprehensive, not even nearly as comprehensive as I was expecting, especially since it's such a revered album.

As far as documentaries go I'd rate it as average. I was recently let down in the same way after looking forward to seeing "It Might Get Loud". I felt with that, just as this "Exile" DVD that it didn't go "geeky" enough. It wasn't all that informative.

So much is said about the album, the problem is it's usually all the same stuff in slightly varying forms. I read the spread that Uncut and Rolling Stone magazines did recently before the DVD had come out and I'm not sure the DVD delivers much more than that.

By comparison, I've been watching the Under Review DVD's lately, such as; Neil Young and Leonard Cohen, and have been loving them. They aren't even official releases or feature the band and I've found them entertaining and informative.

There are a few things I do have to say though;

It is worth buying this DVD, but for me the real interest was in the extended interviews section of the special features.

Second, a girl keeps popping up, giving her opinion and reflections on the album, among Jack White, Sheryl Crow etc, and I was watching thinking, "Well, I don't know her, but I guess she's a singer", since their names didn't accompany their interviews.
Turns out she's Liz Phair. I YouTubed her name after the DVD credits. And, she's trash. Absolute trash.
She creates an impression while listening to the way she describes how "Exile" makes her feel. Why someone like her is on such a DVD is beyond me.

The DVD is worth buying and I'll enjoy repeat viewings, but it's not near enough to what it should have been. Again, considering that "Exile on Mainstreet" is considered one of "the" classic albums of all time. Maybe it's just that they can't remember much of that time, or that Mick and Keith can never agree on who's account is accurate, so why put out a DVD full of their conflicting stories.

I have a feeling this would have been treated a lot better if it were released as part of the "Classic Albums" DVD series.

[Add comment]