5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: 7" inch Capacitive Touch Screen Allwinner A13 1.0GHz CPU (up to 1.5GHz maximumly)Processor Android 4.0.3 (Latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS) Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi MID Epad Flash Player 11.1 - Compatible with BBC iPlayer / Youtube / Facebook (Black) by Dx-mall
I bought this tablet, essentially for surfing and to replace my Kindle which is now a bit tired. I know Kindle offer a guarantee but as I have a rather tattered Mk1 Kindle, I thought I'd get a tablet that 'does a bit more' than just books (albeit not a lot more - I prefer doing most of my work on a laptop, still, sad as that may be!).

I'll start with the not-so-great:

If you're used to an iPad or Galaxy/other leading tablet, do NOT expect a lot from this - and be prepared to buy expandable memory if you want all your apps to work. It is roughly only 10% of the cost of an iPad though, so remember you get what you pay for.

Also, reminder this is a low-quality capacitative screen, if you're used to superAMOLED or Apple's Retina display, just remember this! If you're used to gorilla glass be aware the screen is plastic and may feel 'tacky' (you have to slide apps with the pad rather than the tip of your finger to get the best response out of it - or buy a rubber styus). Games like Fruit Ninja aren't that great on this tablet - so be aware of that if you are buying it as a cheap doesn't-matter-if-it-gets-dropped-tablet for children to play games on.

Battery life isn't long either - 4 hours if used and about 10 static, tops - happily it's a micro USB charger so if you've a bunch of other things that use micro USB chargers then you shouldn't get caught short (I like to charge mine in the car whenever I drive anywhere then it's 'topped up' when I get out.

Better bits:
Next day delivery! I ordered through Afunta UK and it arrived the very next morning. :)

The tablet handles a few simple apps well - I pretty much bought it as a cheap alternative to my Kindle, which has since died. That advantage of a tablet is you can read in the dark for a lot less money than an official Kindle!

Nice and light, about the same weight as my Kindle - so I was happy with that!

Not as bulky as larger tablets, and quite thin as well - I was expecting a cheap tablet to come in slightly chunkier build than it did, so was pleasantly surprised.

Going back to the screen, the capacitive screen has one advantage in that you can use it like an old school PDA and tap it with the blunt end of a biro or use it whilst wearing gloves if you like - nice if you're new to the technology like my parents are (or if like me you live in Wales and it decides to snow even in May!) NB on this, the stylus pictured is NOT INCLUDED.

Marmite bits (love or hate!):

4-way screen rotation - I've got a 'phablet' that only rotates 3 ways, I wasn't expecting expecting the screen of such a cheap tablet to orientate itself in any direction, tbh - so that was a nice surprise for me. It may annoy other people though so be wary

Unlock-to-camera option. This would be AMAZING if the tablet was dual camera, not sure if it's a feature on Allwinner's other offerings that do have a camera on the back and on the front. Unfortunately this tablet only has a camera on the screen side (ok for the generic 'Facetime' apps etc) but it sort of defeats the point of the feature if you then have to point the screen away from you to take a picture. If you're into spontaneous selfies though, then you'll like this feature. The downside if you're used to swiping to unlock in any direction you may end up accidentally unlocking the camera - particularly if you bear in mind the 4-way rotation the screen has. You can unlock to camera if you change the angle of the tablet when swiping.
There might be a way to turn it off but the instruction manual is minimal and it really isn't of massive bother to me so I've not tried looking.

No charging light. A lot of tablets, phones and phablets (and even laptops) often have a small light, or the screen lights up, whilst you're charging. This has nothing like that, so if you're reading in bed and then stick it on to charge before you put the lights out then it won't get on your nerves.

Wifi seems alright to me - though I notice other reviewers have complained. It's better at home wifi than commercial wifi though. There was an option for this with 3G

SUMMARY:

Start with low expectations and be surprised, rather than start with high expectations and be disappointed. At ~30 I can afford to replace it yearly if I wanted, you could get one every year for 10 years before you've met the mean average cost of an iPad - I doubt an iPad will last 10 years (especially if Apple are against backwards compatibility). Snideness for snobbier tablets aside, if you don't need much out of your tablet then this one is great. If you're expecting it to get heavy usage though I might suggest you serve your search back for the market leaders anyway - the two really aren't comparable.

[Add comment]