5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph for Blackberry, 24 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Blackberry Bold 9900 Sim Free Mobile Phone-Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Having received the new Blackberry Bold 9900 today I am happy to report that most of the major flaws of the previous Bold family have been fixed. The web browser is snappy and responsive, the touchscreen is easy to use, fluid and a delight (no doubt because of the Snapdragon CPU). The phone is very thin for a Blackberry and the fact that it's got a touchscreen as well is particularly impressive given the brick-like feel of the Torch. The camera is a huge step forward from the camera in my old 9700, however, it still has a way to go to match up to the superior iPhone 4 camera (and most likely the iPhone 5 that is forthcoming). The major strength, as always with Blackberry, is the keyboard which is a return to form. The keyboard is the same size and feel that we had in the old Bold 9000 and it's fantastic!

For Blackberry users, the Bold 9900 is amazing and represents a great deal of engineering and research by RIM to produce a phone that is functional, stylish and a joy to use. For users of iPhone and Android however, RIM has yet to make a phone which is as comprehensive or as forward thinking as iOS and Android are. RIM has a ready made consumer pool for its phones; we all love Blackberrys and I personally wouldn't move to another manufacturer. However, RIM fails to develop phones that will make users want to switch from Android or iOS and that's where the money is. It is my feeling that although the Bold 9900 is a huge step forward, anyone switching from iOS or Android will most likely miss some of the features they've come to know and love in their previous platform.

I highly recommend this phone to anyone with an older Blackberry - get it and you won't look back. For iOS and Android users I'd recommend borrowing a friend's phone to test drive it first because you'll either love Blackberry or think it's antiquated and a touch passé.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Aug 2011 16:50:28 BDT
Bill dunns says:
fantastic review well said

Posted on 2 Sep 2011 20:43:21 BDT
chrisrozzo says:
hi
how are you finding the battery,ive heard its not the best.
also is the keyboard user friendly??
ta muchly

Posted on 28 Sep 2011 22:15:47 BDT
JACK says:
The new bold keyboard is bigger by 6% than the old bold 9000

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2011 08:31:38 BDT
Damo8 says:
Hi, I have owned the Bold 9900 since August so have a bit of experience with it. To answer your first question I would say I have no problems with it. I'm not a business user but I wouldn't consider myself a light user with calls, texts, emails, bbm, social feeds and light browsing, so getting at least 24 hours between charges is acceptable. Realistically do any of its so called competitors do any better ? From my knowledge and talking to friends who use iPhones/Androids they get around the same and I've known some less. I use the leather pouch to power it down and I switch the wifi/bluetooth off when I'm not using them as to leave them on is just a waste. Secondly keyboards, Blackberrys are renowned for their keyboards. I have been a BlackBerry user for a few years but I had used the Storm 1 & 2 and loved the suretype on them. The previous Bold 9780 I was reluctant to upgrade to because I felt the keyboard would be too small having tried to use the keyboard a few times in mobile phone shops. When I did this with the 9900 I still had some reluctancy despite it being a blatantly bigger keyboard. Obviously there is a bit of a learning curve with it but a month later I'm a lot better and now wonder why I was so reluctant to switch. The original review is spot on and so is the advice to try one out prior if switching to BlackBerry from Android/IOS. The only things I would like to add is how intuitive and natural the mix of touch screen/full keyboard is to me now leaving me wondering why no one has done it before. Also more subjectively I think it feels great in the hand and the rubberised border on the back means you can hold the phone with no worries of it slipping out of your hand. Hope that helps...

Posted on 24 Oct 2011 15:10:35 BDT
Revi says:
You are extremely fluent in your writing, and you certainly have a fantastic grasp of language. It was a pleasure reading your review!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2012 19:44:48 GMT
D. Norman says:
hI Damo
reassuring you have had the bold several months. Especially,you are getting a 24 hour battery life. I do take the point about switching off blue tooth / wi fi, when not needed, also i have heard to toggle from 3g to 2g. I also an not a business user. But do text, call, email, BBM, and surf so I am hoping that I would get the same 24 hours, or even a bit less. Many reviews I have read, state they are hardly getting 6 hours continuous on a full charge battery. So your review, has been especially informative as you have had the 9900 some months, tried and tested, thank you.

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 10:39:10 GMT
A very uesful and comprehensive review. I can confirm having had a Bold 9000 which I loved and was tempted to move to a Torch because of the touch screen just how bulky and heavy the Torch is in use. The keyboard on the 9000 was just about at the extent of my finger size and the Torch buttons- bing that little bit smaller - are just too small for me. I make lots of typing mistakes which would be a nightmare without the autocorrect function. I saw the 9900 when it was launched and thought it was the phone for me. This review has heloped me to be further sure that it is!

Posted on 4 Apr 2012 19:42:46 BDT
MDriver says:
I have been looking around trying to get the best deal for this phone.
Was searching on eBay and lo and behold, this exact same review was on their site. Word for word!

Posted on 5 Apr 2012 20:09:24 BDT
very good review thank you. Must admit, i can't wait for my upgrade date, so i can get one of these from my 9700!

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 08:01:23 BDT
M. Clarke says:
Excellent non bias review! I've had two blackberry's in the past, and got fed up with their cheap non functioning and looking applications. Really embarrassing and under developed. Unfortunately my previous phone to BB was an iPhone, and there really is no comparison at all! BB is great for messenger, business and multi tasking, and lets not forget the keypad. My last two phones were the Xperia Ray and the HTC Wildfire, I'm not going to trash talk something unless I've tried it first. I detested them both.

The novelty soon wares off when you keep hitting the back button by accident and many other glitches which would take up this whole page. I cannot bear these phones, they just take forever and a day to type and both Android phones would make up their own words which would really jar me.

No, that's it, I've had enough, I'm coming back to Blackberry, I don't mind the touch pad as long as I have the choice whether to use it or not. In my opinion, BB with it's track pad surpasses any phone, plus touch plus keypad, you really can't go wrong!

Ordered my 9900 yesterday. I'm looking forward to it. BB I'm coming home!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (189 customer reviews)

£374.19 £199.99