1.0 out of 5 stars skeptical and many contradictions, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Slave Across the Street: The harrowing true story of how a 15-year-old girl became a sex slave (Paperback)
Being retired with 25 years in the police service, I bought book after hearing Teresa give an interview on BBC Five Live Radio, reading it three times I found a few discrepancies, and things that just don't add up, (check interview with Teresa on BBC five Live). Page 190 of book, so descriptive of furniture in room and an average count of men, on Radio she claimed when entered motel room could not see furniture with amount of men in their Believing she was drugged, experience tells me no, as you read through book she is so vivid and descriptive and seems to remember every word that was said, but page 114 she can't remember how she ended up naked or on the bed with nick, but she is so descriptive of the actual sex and what he did and his cousin. Her claim Daniel raped her, she said on Radio I think I was drugged, again so vivid after the act she looks between her legs and sees the blood, shorts down by her knees, managed to get in and out of bath, claim she blacked out, pages 98 to 100 after blacking out she said reluctantly I opened my eyes, before what she calls rape she was having major four-play, if blacked out you would one be thinking, `'I will reluctantly open my eyes ''.She claimed she always blacked out in these gang bangs but she had hiatal Hernia, symptoms are fainting, light headedness, heartburn, nausea leaks acid fluid into diaphragm causing ulcers.
The comments she uses throughout this book, `'it was only sex,'' `'I realized I could handle any sex act,'' page 96, `'I daydreamed of this moment for a long time,'' `'thought of Jim but I knew kiss was harmless,'' page 138 to 139 cute boys hung here, smelt sex and experience on me, I thought surprisingly on this occasion I would welcome attention, could be normal no one would know me,does this sound like a rape victim, or someone sexually aware?
Sound like a girl who is gang banged up to 25+ plus men every other night? Who states she was forced and raped? Her mum calls her vain always pampering in front of mirror, my experience in cases for a woman to get back to some sort of normality takes time, but she meets her so called rapist Daniel again 3 days after she said he raped , how many victims want to meet there violator? None. Claims Nick hardly spoke to her but read the book you will see he says more than she lets on. When reading this book I wanted to see a fighter beaten the odds, impression from her writing was a girl sexually awakening seeking male attention, to fit in, when Daniel told her she had to have sex with his cousins read response and read around it, make up your own minds, after 2 years claiming to be a sex slave she went to bars looking for strangers for sex, college the same most rape victims it takes months maybe years to get to even think about it, their lives are never normal again.
I felt this was the little girl who cried wolf, a girl enjoying the attention maybe the sex with certain amount of men, then taking photos as she sits loving the attention, after feelings of guilty set about what she was doing, the book never comes across as somebody raped beaten and tortured, never taken to hospital, rape brings serious internal injuries sometimes needing surgery, the throat would be damaged as well as the gums and lips due to the force, other orifices would be split with tears needing urgent attention, but no hospital, not even catching a sexual disease, 5% of women raped by 1 man catch a disease, those gang raped is usually 70% but continually gang raped surely percentage has to rise especially over two years, not even a pregnancy, seen women found years later being held captive have kids, surely they too would be under most extreme stress, the parents would have noticed something was wrong her pyjamas would have smelt of man fluid, stained.
Maybe I am being harsh but after years of experience serving my country in law facts speak more than words anyone can write, after 30 years no charges never gone to police, I am sorry this book never gave me the impression of someone with injustice yet her dad was a judge, notice as you read how many time she admits to lying, anyone can write a story but nobody can cover the scars, I have seen many scars in my job many who's words were the same, the book and the BBC five live interview help shape my mind, there is more to this story than is listed, another side.
If this was a true story why wait 30 years other girls she could have saved from the type of abuse she describes, with 4000 men having sex with her over 2 years, things just don't add up. And I know I am not the only one who thinks this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2013 16:19:19 BDT
foxymoxy says:
well thankfully you are now retired from the police and there is no likelihood of you being tasked to investigate a rape.......... the good old days eh of girls gagging for it ?????? shocking attitude .

Posted on 5 Nov 2013 19:24:32 GMT
vek says:
It is a shocking assessment from someone who would have been in a position to help females of all ages like her and I. I am appalled by your comment. Shame on you.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014 09:57:43 GMT
JB says:
Yes, I think you are spot on. I found it incredible that she never once got pregnant or seriously injured or got a sexual disease. My own review brings up many questions I felt the book did not answer. I think others reviewing this book, and commenting on your review, are of the school of thought that surely no-one could make something like this up. They need to look beyond and realise that sometimes people do make these things up, for whatever reason. I once worked with a woman who pretended she'd had an abortion then sent herself threatening letters about it, all to get some attention - she later admitted what she had done. Don't just say 'oh she was raped, poor thing' - not until you have given the questions thrown up some serious thought. This review was by someone who is used to rape victims and can tell when a story is true or not. I am a woman who is practical, sensitive, compassionate - if I had felt this victim's tale was true then I would have said so. But this woman's story doesn't ring true and just saying 'poor her' encourages more people to get away with things like this. There's enough real hurt in the world without somebody trying to fabricate more.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›