Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant home printer for those who don't like replacing inks regularly, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4535DWF A4 Multifunction Inkjet Printer (Accessory)
My previous printer was a Canon Pixma IP4500. It produced fantistic results and did everything I needed, however it had one MASSIVE flaw. The ink cartridges were tiny and required replacement on a weekly basis. I must have spent a fortune on ink.

This Epson 4535 printer is a different beast. It is rather big and ugly but has a few nice tricks up it's sleeve. In addition to printing as good as my old printer, it is MUCH faster, produces decent photocopies, scans well, and the inks last forever. I cannot count how many prints (photo's and standard documents) I have made, but all of the originally supplied cartridges still have plenty of ink left. I estimate these cartridges last 10x longer than my old Canon, and the supplied cartridges are the lower capacity (less than half filled) versions.

WIFI works really well and is easy to setup. The supplied software CD automatically downloads the latest drivers, installs useful (but basic) photo software, and updates the printers firmware (if required). Connecting my home dektop, laptops, iPhone and Android tablets was a breeze.

The only real downside of this printer is that it cannot perform edge to edge photo prints. Whether you print A4, A5, 7"x5", 6"x4", there will always be a 3mm white border around the edges. I guess this saves a little ink and many people like borders around their photos, but it would have been nice to have an edge to edge option.

Photo printing tip:- Always use the rear tray for printing smaller than A4, and when using the Epson Easy Print software boost contrast to +8 in order to produce vibrant images. This is not a dedicated photo printer, but it can perform just as well as my old Canon Pixma if the contast is turned up a bit and output is set to high-quality mode. Without adjusting the contrast prictures appear a little washed out.

So, although this is probably not the best photo printer in the world, it is more than good enough for non-professional pictures, and actually produces prints equal to those at Boots/Tesco's printer Kiosks. I will never use the fax machine, but both the photocopier and scanner are very capable. My kids find this printer ideal for copious ammounts of homework, and I love not having to put up with "low on ink" or "replace ink now" messages. Spend more on the printer now. less on ink later.

Great product and great service from Amazon as always. Using the free delivery option my printer arrived next day.

### edit 31/1/2013: Having owned this printer for more than 3 months now, I thought I should update my comments.

The printer has performed flawlessly. I did experience one paper jam, but this was easy to rectify due to the printer opening fully from the rear and clearly exposing all of it's internals. Inks just last forever... My kids have printed homework on a daily basis but it still reports that the ORIGINAL cartridges are more than half full. Nothing has fallen off, and apart from the odd "empty paper tray" notification (my fault) it just does what it is told. My wife also loves the way she can scan her work documents direct to USB stick without having to turn the PC on. The only negative thing I can say about this device is that it still looks rather large, but that is a price well worth paying for quality and practicality.

It may be built for small-medium office, but it is great for home use too. Well worth the money.

### edit 2 15/5/2013: I replaced my first ink cartridge last week after several days of low ink warnings. Rather than purchasing Epson's own-brand and rather expensive ink, I opted for a box of compatible inks costing £22 for a full set of 4. Needless to say, they work perfectly and print quality and colour of the replaced Cyan cartridge is indistinguishable from the real thing.

The inks I purchased were from the Amazon reseller below. However, if link stops working just search Amazon for "Set of 4 XXL Ink WP4535".

My opinions of this printer have not changed. It is well worth the money and saves a lot of time money and effort replacing inks all of the time.

### edit 3 29/5/2013: Two further original ink cartridges ran out in recent days. Both of the replacement "compatible inks" (listed above) were accepted and work perfectly. After 7 months of constant use I have only had to replace 3 of the originally supplied lower-capacity inks. The replacement higher-capacity ink should last much longer. I love this big ugly printer.

### edit 4 11/7/2013: Just replaced the last of my original ink cartridges. Yellow lived the longest and served it's owner well. All five of the replacement inks listed above work fine within the WP-4535, and even the first replaced ink still shows as full. For a printer that sees daily use, I cannot be happier.

### edit 5 25/8/2014: The first replacement ink cartridge has just run out, whilst the others show approximately one-quarter full after more than a year of daily use. The printer and 3rd party inks have served me without fault.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2013 21:45:40 GMT
NAZ says:
thanks after reading you're comments i bought this as my kids do there home works ,they do print a lot, i had kodak ESP 7 before although the ink cost £18.00 both colour and black but only last few days they say 420 pages but i think about 150 pages if you are lucky thats is , but this epson does go and go for ever thanks for the advise

Posted on 26 Aug 2013 15:29:50 BDT
cpes31 says:
Hello Orville,

Like Naz, I would like to thank you for your review. Like many of the Amazon reviews for the WorkForce Pro WP-4535DWF, it has been a great help in choosing a new printer.

Posted on 2 Oct 2013 08:25:23 BDT
Aj Paddon says:
Its a good review. i would add that this will replace my Epson WP4525 which has died just after 14 months use. I have printed tens of thousands of pages from it. I used refillable cartridges which got the cost down to tenths of a penny per page. When it worked it was faultless. I have always (30 years +) had Epson printers. I still run a Photo PX650, which I bought second hand off ebay, and gives stunning results off 30p ink cartridges.
I shall be buying one of these Printers today, and look forward to wearing it out . . .

Posted on 1 Mar 2014 12:55:30 GMT
Plainsong says:
Brilliant review: thanks for the rolling updates - really useful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›