1.0 out of 5 stars Get the actual Garmin one, 2 May 2013
Update:

Yesterday, I was riding my bike on the road, and hit a pot hole (not a huge one), and the e-trex fell out of the mount and onto the road. Luckily Garmin make the e-trex pretty robust, so it was okay, but I don't really trust the mount much after this.

Earlier comments:

I originally gave this two stars, writing:

I have a garmin etrex 10. I bought this to attach it to a bike, but I am not convinced it is secure. I haven't tried it on the bike yet, because I am debating whether or not to return it, but I can quite easily slide the etrex out without having to hold down the relase mechanism at the bottom. So I am not confident it would stay on the bike, if going over bumpy ground etc.

I then added a comment: actually, it is worse that I thought. Just holding the bottom of the mount, pushing it forward and stopping suddenly, the etrex just falls off without even having to touch it. Just don't have much confidence in this at all.

Anyway, despite my concerns, I did attach it to the bike, and on roads it seemed okay (hence 3 stars). However, I do have some concerns though. It isn't locked in, and there is some movement, but for simple road cycling, it may be okay. (And obviously the position you put it in can help. Having it more vertical than horizontal will mean gravity will probably keep it in place.)

I don't think I would be very confident with this on my mountain bike, riding off road.

That said, having read a few of the reviews of the original Garmin Bike Mount for Colorado and Oregon, the garmin may have the opposite flaw:

"Taking the unit out of the mount takes a relatively noticeable effort, too, and the mount moves again."

That certainly isn't a problem with the BDM one.

BDM offered me a refund, saying mine must have been a faulty one, but I have two of these (I impatiently bought the second before the first arrived), and they are both the same.

Another update:

The Garmin fell off again, and this time was run over by a truck, and is not fine. So had to buy a new etrex.

I have now replaced this item with an actual Garmin one, and it is much better - more secure - and it doesn't seem to tight a fit at all. So really no reason to get this instead of an actual Garmin one.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]