2.0 out of 5 stars Came with manual focus Lens, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 16 Megapixel Compact System Camera Kit with 14-42mm Standard Zoom Lens - Silver (Electronics)
I purchased this camera on the black friday deals and recieved two days later which was great. Unfortunately it came with the manual lens and not the push button power operated one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Nov 2012 21:20:04 GMT
I've just ordered on on the Black Friday deal also. I ordered it on the basis that the photo quite clearly shows a power lense. Surely this is miss representation if it is delivered with a manual lense?

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 09:07:14 GMT
It should work in autofocus mode if its the lens listed maybe its faulty or settings are set wrong in the camera settings ?
I have had loads Panasonic cameras including the GX1 and they all are set too be automatic focus from new in my experience...

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 09:28:57 GMT
Maixent says:
I have also ordered it, and received it yesterday.
Of course, it's the basic 14-42mm lens, not the powered one.
As usual, one cannot and must not trust the price listed as full price. (It was the real full price when the item came out, 10 months ago. Since then, prices have plummeted).
I guess it's going to be sold on eBay now, as I can't put up with the bulk or weight of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 09:33:05 GMT
I think it was more that Sunny mis-read the part of the description that said with FS014042E Lens.
To be fair, the image does show the wrong lens.

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 09:41:04 GMT
You made a mistake in your review, you mean the manual zoom lens; both the x lens (which is in the photo, small and expensive) and normal lens (which is in the description - if you google the product code) are auto focus. Still that is really shoddy from Amazon, the standard price for this combination on amazon is £420 and the best price available online is ~ £370 so Amazon selling it as an amazing price at £321 is good but not stunning. That said this is a very good camera, it is likely to be replaced in the new year by a newer model, hence the dropping price.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 09:50:36 GMT
...also, Panasonic are doing a £50 cashback at the moment. Not tried claiming yet but if accepted, then another £50 of the price makes it a stunning deal!
They also have a free upgrade to 3 year warranty

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 10:51:05 GMT
I am siding with Sunny on this one I'm afraid, I don't know what a FS014042E Lens is!! I'm not a photographer. I bought what I thought was in the picture and read the reviews (all of which had the power lens in the images). I thought it was standard. I will be returning mine. Not a good Amazon deal. Bit sneaky of them to be honest. And I notice that the camera is back on today's deals - must be the ones that people have returned!!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 11:10:38 GMT
Lanius says:
Well of course (original reviewer) you mean "power zoom" not autofocus.

Look, this is a really poor deal even if it was the power zoom lens, see ASIN: B00638OUIQ for the thing you all thought you were buying, but in black.

Send them back, Amazon have made a total pig's ear of this listing, I think they will see that point and take them back without quibble. Or maybe make the price right if you are happy with the bigger lens.

And FWIW I don't think you are all nuts for not reading the words as well as looking at the picture, because I have seen Amazon descriptions change unexpectedly (in my case a grey heater ordered, white delivered, but by now the colour had GONE from the description). I can't prove that is what happened in this case, but now I always save a copy of the description as I place an order (print to PDF). Not that I expect Amazon to require that proof for a refund, it's just that I like to reassure myself I'm not going crazy ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 13:08:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2012 13:09:34 GMT
Sach says:
I would say the title was correct on Tuesday, I spent a little while googling the lens code while it was in my basket at offer time as it was far from clear, it checked out as the manual and I bought it anyway.

Clarity is important, you should not have to google your product codes to make up for a confusing product page with a misleading picture but I must for the record state that the title was not changed.

Plus they delayed my dispatch.

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 13:35:49 GMT
James Murray says:
Mine's due to arrive on Monday and, although Amazon are saying that it's a fair price, it would have been for the camera and lens in their photo which is what I thought I had purchased - going by the price and 49% discount.

The cheaper bulkier and heavier lens will not be what i wanted - I already own a bridge and an SLR camera

If Amazon aren't negotiable on the price to lower it below £300 (forget about the Panny £50 and 3 year warranty promotion - that's nothing to do with the Amazon deal) mine will be going back

And under Amazon's t & c I shouldn't have to pay postage as it's Amazon's error