5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera - just gets better all the time, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Digital Camera (12.1 Megapixel, 12x Zoom, 3.0 inch LCD Screen) (Electronics)
Bought one of these for it's HD video and 12x zoom and have been very impressed. As this is also a backup camera for my Canon DSLR I also wanted good image quality - not been disappointed.

August 2011 - UPDATE
Some review sites mention the poor battery life - I filled an 2 x 4GB cards on holiday on the same set of batteries including a 10 minute hd video - just make sure you have some good rechargeables (I use the Uniross ones) and you won't have a problem. By the way - it only takes 2 batteries - my old 620 took 4.

FEATURES
Before buying I compared this to a number of other cameras from Sony and Panasonic, but this seemed to be offer the best combination of features and quality and is a very good price. A friend purchased the Panasonic and has a problem with red streaks in photos on bright days - not something I have experienced. If this camera proves as reliable as my previous Canon cameras then this will be another excellent purchase.

QUALITY
I use this camera all the time now. The quality of the pictures from it are amazing. I use the 'P'rogram mode most of the time. My Canon DSLR is now relegated to very serious photography only - everything else I use this compact camera. Just been on holiday with both cameras and didn't use the DSLR once. The macro shots are phenomenal - just shows what a brilliant sensor and lens this camera has.

SIZE
This is not the smallest camera but it suits me - sometimes the buttons on smaller cameras are too fiddly.

VIDEO
If I shoot HD video and it's closer than 15ft I do tend to switch to Manual Focus and preset it otherwise the camera will try and refocus - this switching is easy me but may not suit other people. Shots of my son surfing in the sea came out fantastic using the standard autofocus.

DRAWBACKS
Only improvements I would have liked would have been a folding and tilting screen like my previous Canon (DSLR doesn't have one either) and the ability to program my own menus (like my DSLR).

SUMMARY
This is an amazing piece of kit for not much money (I have seen it for £130 recently) - buy you won't be disappointed.

Rob

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Nov 2011 20:37:18 GMT
J. Lamb says:
Excellent review. I am a A610 user looking to upgrade (due to a dropping accident) and I was interested to find a review from some one possibly with the same photographic background so to speak.
Endorse the comment re swivel screen which on the A610 is a boon - especially for low level shots (and a bad back)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2011 14:57:35 GMT
I am sure you won't be disappointed with this camera, particularly if coming from an earlier Canon. It's worth having a really good look through the manual as well to discover all the extra features.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2011 16:50:44 GMT