5.0 out of 5 stars At Last.........., 1 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Jamie's America (Hardcover)
.......... a cookbook which deliciously debunks the myth of 'American' food.

Jamie's America offers a unique taste of the richness and diversity of this country's gastronomic fare. Brilliantly done, in his inimitable style, lots of fab recipes with tips and commentary along the way. I just love the way Jamie gives you a 'chat' as you go through his cookbooks, and this one is no exception.

Like his others, written to accompany the C4 series of the same name, there is something here for everyone. Tasty, beautifully illustrated, clever and interesting, but not preachy. Back to Jamie at his best!

EDIT:
To update my review, I've added the recipes tried and tested so far! Am very impressed how easy and tasty they are, and their adaptability. Have a look online (Daily Mail website in particular) if you want to 'try before you buy' this cookbook.

1. VELVET CUPCAKES - these were easy to make and very 'visual' (looked good displayed on a wire cupcake stand too). Not as vividly 'red' as the traditional Velvet Cake, but I used natural colouring. I cooked these for slightly less time than suggested and got a very soft and almost melting cake. Easy recipe to adapt for different occasions.
2. BROCCOLI SALAD - again a very easy recipes, quick and delicious. I preferred it slightly warm, so best to have everything prepared for the dressing in advance. A little fiddly preparing the Broccoli as directed, but worth it for the presentation. For Friday night tea, I just chopped up the Broccoli randomly (also a lot less waste!) Brilliant for veggies (add cheese of choice) or we had it with a simple steak.
3. STUFFED COURGETTE FLOWERS - similar to Valentine Warner's excellent recipe but with a different mix of cheeses. Added more Chilli to this and it was fab. Again easy to adapt to suit taste.
4. CHURROS - Not enough cinnamon for my lot in this but again easy to adapt. VERY tasty indeed. (Need to make a double batch next time).
5. BEER BUTT CHICKEN - if you have to try one recipe, try this. A revelation and simply delicious. Very easy, meltingly tender chicken. (Novel too - provoked more discussion here then Nigella's Ham in CocaCola!)
6. COMFORTING TURKEY STEW - this was actually Comforting Leftover BeerButt Chicken for us, but good nonetheless. Will probably omit the dumplings next time - good on its own or with rice / mash.

Enjoy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Sep 2009 09:15:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Sep 2009 09:18:21 BDT
Kitchenfairy says:
Hi Becster,
Would you write some recipes' titles just for sample?
Thanx

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2009 12:32:25 BDT
Of course! So many to choose from, but as an ex-NYC girl my first choices would be Omelette Gordon Bennett (mackerel instead of the traditional haddock - yum!); Velvet Cupcakes (SATC eat your heart out!); Jewish Penicillin (even if you are not ill!); other ones I'm going to try include Beer Butt Chicken (mind boggles!!); Hush Puppies, Broccoli salad and Wild West Rice. Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2009 23:41:44 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 4 Sep 2009 12:39:47 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2009 05:24:50 BDT
Thanks for the complement!
Nope - no PR, just a happy Mum of 4 with a fabby cookbook to devour. Perhaps you might like to try writing a review of something before you pass judgement on others?!!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2009 09:49:24 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Sep 2009 09:49:33 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2009 20:14:08 BDT
E. Simmonds says:
beggars belief why people have to make such pointless comments! I thought your review was very helpful espcially the titles. PR or not PR I think I can make my own mind up wether I decide to buy or not thanks all the same JAS. Cant wait to make Jewish penicillin.

Posted on 3 Sep 2009 13:26:11 BDT
gidget86 says:
Thank you your comment was very helpful I absolutely love all of Jamie Oliver's books and can't wait to get this one I'd especially like to see his take on traditional Cajun-Texan and Mexican fare as that is all in my heritage; one thing I would like to ask you though is what is the "myth of 'American' food"? I am american and just was a bit mystified by that comment, is there something about American food someone's not telling me? I hate to sound like an idiot, but is it a reference to the amount of fast food Americans eat?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2009 13:38:50 BDT
Yeah there's a bit at the beginning of the book where he talks about how he's stuck up for English food in the past saying it's not just stodgy rubbish, and that he feels the same about American food because when he told everyone he was writing an American cookbook they all went "but isn't that just junk food?".

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2009 17:14:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Sep 2009 17:17:03 BDT
Thanks for your comments. gidget86 - my comment about the myth of American Food is very much what 'emma who reads a lot' explains in her comment (as Jamie explains in the Intro), that the popular misconception is of Burgers, Fries, Donuts and Mega Portions. Recent other popular chefs (I'm thinking Nigella but not criticising as I love her books too!) have perpetuated the high calorie, high fat, fast food aspect. My personal experience of living in the US is not that - delicious salads, seafood, cajun, creole, breads, seasonal produce etc. But finding a British cookbook which encompasses this is a rarity. The nearest American cookbook which tells of the flavours of the USA I have come across is Sheila Lukins excellent USA Cookbook, which of course is written with US measurements and temperatures which sometimes are not all that easy to 'translate'. So for me, Jamie's America is just great. And I love it!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2009 18:18:21 BDT
Yeah, it is a relief to have an American cookbook without everything having to be measured in cups! I do have a set, but imagine that most cooks don't.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›