4.0 out of 5 stars Never understand the 1 star reviews...., 3 May 2014
This review is from: Dell C1765NFW Multifunction Colour Laser Printer (Print/Scan/Copy/Fax) (Accessory)
You read the negative reviews of this printer and you have to wonder if people know what they are doing. I have PC's, Macs and mobile devices and all print to the device and scan from the device (in the PC and Macs case) with ease and were an absolute doodle to set up, maybe 10 minutes per device with testing. The print quality is fine, the scanning works with ease and it prints nice documents in both colour and black and white. I didn't bother with all the extra Dell software, went for a light install and I have the device hard wired into my router but can print from anywhere with zero issues. So many tech reviews are full of people who simply don't have a clue when a hip occurs, which it does and I can confirm that as a purchase, set up and printer/scanner it is great. Can't speak about consumables or running costs, but I've done 5 packs of A4 and all inks are still showing plenty of ink left so again I'm sure that will be fine too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 May 2014 20:20:39 BDT
Me A. Inman says:
..so..how have you overcome the 30 minute maximum standby timeout when printing from WiFi; I'm intrigued?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 20:27:10 BDT
Housey says:
I am not aware of said issue. My printer as I said in my review is hard wired into my main wifi/router so is seen on the network by all devices attached to my home network, I don't use the wifi function within the printer itself as it adds nothing for me as the printer is right next to my router. I have no issues with the timeouts you speak of and my device has been on since the day I bought it and I print to it most days from Macs and PC's connected via wifi to my home network. For me it just works but perhaps the issue to which you refer relates to the inbuilt wifi within the printer?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 20:31:00 BDT
Me A. Inman says:
Ah..answering my own question.."I have the device hard wired into my router" .. so that's why you don't get the deaf over WiFi issue - may as well save 20 quid and buy the 1765NF then.

Nothing to do with people "not knowing what they're doing", just a different use case. Yes it's the inbuilt WiFi that's the issue, can't believe they designed it to power down when the printer itself goes into standby. Methinks I'll have to invest in a long Ethernet cable and configure it as you have :-/

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 20:35:24 BDT
Housey says:
I said "You read the negative reviews of this printer and you have to wonder if people know what they are doing." I still stand by this comment, though do not and did not suggest it applies to all. To be clear, it is often to do with people not knowing what they are doing, that is what help desks are for...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 20:54:38 BDT
Me A. Inman says:
Yes, as a general point there are plenty of negative reviews of all sorts of products out there which are clearly due to the purchaser not RTFM (although as the 1765NFW manual runs to approx. 400 pages they may perhaps be excused a less than total understanding in this case...) or having bought the wrong product. In this case the only selling point of the 1765NFW over the cheaper 1765NF is the WiFi, which has been very poorly implemented, hence my 2 stars.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 20:59:41 BDT
Housey says:

Seems many people have zero issue with this device and I am struggling to find anything significant talking about your issues bar the chaps in the link above followed by loads who have no issues. I suggest we can determine that your's is broken or something in your config/network/DCHP scope is askew causing a conflict. Might be worth exploring that area as could be many things causing a conflict. I'd also suggest you speak with Dell and if not happy, bin it and get one you are happier with?

I bought Wifi as I plan to move it to another room shortly away from my router so wanted that. In terms of longer ethernet, perhaps a power line ethernet will allow you to resolve the distance issue. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 21:22:44 BDT
Me A. Inman says:
This thread on Dell's own support forum offers no fix:-

I've given the thing a fixed IP address just in case that helps, but it's still dead to WiFi once it's in sleep mode. Powerline adaptors might be a plan though!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›