5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with my Raspberry Pi and 15in LG Flatron L1510S, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Neewer Black HDMI Input To VGA Adapter Converter For PC Laptop
I bought this to use with a Raspberry Pi and an old, but still good, LG Flatron L1510S LCD monitor. I imagine many Pi would like to make use of a similar old VGA panel and for £15 this converter is a cost effective solution. Using the Pi I have a very sharp display at 1024*768 60Hz, which I think is the maximum my VGA monitor can support. It took quite a long time to get the display to work but the problems were not really to do with the converter. Firstly, I found the HDMI plug on the converter a very snug fit in the HDMI socket of the Raspberry Pi (which is good), but initially I did not have it pushed fully home which meant of course that the monitor received no signal. Having worked that problem out I had to create a config.txt for the Pi. I found the following settings worked with my monitor:

# Settings for Flatron VGA monitor
# 1024 * 768
# Force HDMI signal even if monitor not detected
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
disable_overscan=0

hdmi_mode=16 is the display resolution at 1024 * 768. Full information is at[...].
Having discovered the correct config.txt settings the only further issue was that the screen kept blanking and the Ethernet controller kept going down. I found that the solution to these problems was to power the Pi from my laptop rather than the wallwart USB power supply I was using. The converter draws a significant amount of current from the HDMI port and in my case this appeared to exceed what could be obtained from my power supply. Powering from the laptop's USB cured the problem.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jun 2012 01:57:20 BDT

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 16:25:15 BDT
nigel bennee says:
Just one question: which distro are you using? I have added a /boot/config.txt to Fedora Remix and it does not appear to look at it. I am driving the RPi via SSH from a Linux system and cannot conveniently try Debian as it will not let me SSH into it. I don't want to cart all the kit back to the living room to use the TV (HDMI) Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 22:15:38 BDT
I am using Debian. I can also SSH onto my Pi. To enable SSH I simply did: sudo update-rc.d ssh defaults. You'll get a warning (can't remember what it was). However, after reboot the SSH daemon was running and port 22 was available for connection.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 22:48:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jun 2012 22:55:26 BDT
nigel bennee says:
Thanks for that. I shall move the Debian powered RPi back to the TV one more time to get sshd installed then I should be able to continue diagnosing remotely from my netbook. It still does not appear to read the /boot/config.txt file that did the job for Fedora Remix? The parameter that made all the difference was hdmi_drive=4

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 21:28:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jul 2012 22:08:32 BDT
P. Winwood says:
I don't think the Fedora Remix uses the config.txt or at least resets everything afterwards.
It is also appallingly slow at the moment. I suggest that you avoid it for the time being.

To get the full 1024x768 with my monitor I had to change the config.txt on my Raspberry Pi to

disable_overscan=1

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 23:28:15 BDT
nigel bennee says:
Sorry for the misunderstanding but all is good with Fedora Remix it is Debian Squeeze that is misbehaving. Fedora does respond to the contents of config.txt whereas Debian seems to ignore it. Both work on an HDMI TV with no problem. I am sure we will get there in the end. It is early days for what is a major system development.

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 20:26:48 BDT
Thanks to your review I took the plunge and bought one of the units. In the interest of encouraging others I have an ageing Samsung SyncMaster 710N.
My config.txt has
hdmi_force_hotplay=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=35

giving me a 1280x1024 display at 60Hz. The display seems good and crisp.

elinux orgANISATION slashED RPi_config dot txt provide good info.

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 19:39:53 BDT
Hi,
Thanks so much for this, I've just copied your config.txt file and it seems to be working fine! I was just wondering if you could explain what each of those lines in the config file mean!?! Thanks so much.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2012 04:01:31 BDT
Does anyone know whether plugging an hdmi cable into the RPi cuts off the sound o/p? This seems to be the case with laptops and tablets and means that even with a hdmi > svga adapter the RPi would have limited uses with older monitors (of which there are many still around).

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2012 10:19:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jul 2012 10:20:30 BDT
nigel bennee says:
I am glad it helped. The best description of the parameters I have seen so far is at elinux.org/RPi_config.txt. I downloaded Debian Wheezy a couple of days ago and it appears to have ironed out the wrinkles with the config.txt file found in Debian Squeeze. I can now get the Dell E156FP screen working with the Neewer cable at first boot. On examination the config.txt file has more lines in it and the first parameter hdmi_safe=1 seems to give a vanilla low res set up which works. However changing the hdmi_group=2 and hdmi_mode=16 has given me the full 1024x768 I desired. Still doesn't work with the Samsung though.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›