4.0 out of 5 stars Ambitious: yes. Too ambitious. But good., 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Space Between (Tribes of the Hakahei #1) (Kindle Edition)
I am very reluctant to say it ... but I feel some of the other reviews have been published by well-meaning friends and/or associates of the author the way they seem to be familiar with his work and heave praise upon The Space Between (Tribes of the Hakahei #1).

This first volume of a trilogy is most certainly a 'very ambitious' book, as they all say. I do agree, but I feel it's way too ambitious. Though the author shows a lot of promise, he tries to throw everything into his first(?) novel, and I mean EVERYthing: Sherwood Forest, Area 51, military SF, magic, linguistics, humour, lost civilizations to name just some and then half a dozen different fantasy 'races' on top.

Reading it I was reminded of a talk I had with Jack Chalker at the SF world con in Holland, where he told me that he had to invent a huge number of complete religions for his next novel (The Ninety Trillion Fausts (The Quintara marathon)) and though I was and am a fan of Chalker's writing (specifically 'The Well of Souls' series) - and btw I strongly suspect Scott J. Robinson is as well - I cringed a bit and eventually said novel was met with very mixed reviews indeed.

What Robinson does, he does quite well on the other hand: Elves, dwarves, humans etc. really behave and think differently. The portrait of Area 51 is accurate - just kidding: it feels credible, and the description of specific stones underground is particularly well done. The humour - limited to Keeble, the dwarf - is actually very nicely handled: never heavy handed, but actually 'smart funny', sometimes subtle, sometimes deft. Alien civilizations are not just human ones with a twist, but show Robinson has put a lot of thought into it and, finally, the author shows craft handling the action sequences. All is all: good to very good. Recommended: definitely. But in future: less REALLY can be more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jun 2012 13:58:08 BDT
Mrs Em. says:
Purely for the record, I'm neither a friend nor associate of the author, and did genuinely enjoy the novel immensely. I've never met him, and live thousands of miles away. Hope that clarifies :)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 16:29:22 BDT
I did not mean to offend you or other reviewers in any way. And in a way we all agree anyway: good book!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 18:20:25 BDT
Mrs Em. says:
No offence taken! :)
I just didn't want you to think I was buddies with this guy, it was an honest review. I absolutely loved the book :)
(and it was a real surprise as I wasn't expecting a self-published title to be of that standard)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 22:00:08 BDT
I'm glad you're not offended. As I said, I did never intended to.
And I agree: For a self-published title it's really good. And no typos for a change, though the formatting was off quite often (indented paragraphs).
I think Scott Robinson definitely has a lot of potential.
Regards from St. Leonards-on-Sea, England

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2012 12:32:17 BDT
Hi Masked

I read your comments ages ago and wasn't sure if I should reply... Well, here I am.

Firstly, thanks for the great review.

Secondly, I actually made the book available from my website before I put it up on Amazon. If people wanted to read book 2, they could make a donation and I sent it out. A couple of the great reviews I've had (not all of them) came from people who made donations.

So yes, I've exchanged a couple of emails with some of them in the process of thanking them for the donation and finding out what format they wanted and thanking them again. Any familiarity comes from that and that alone. If they didn't like the books enough to donate and I would never have even heard of them.

They like the book enough to donated (sometimes more than I am charging on Amazon) and they like it enough to come and write a review.

I would never ask friends or family to write reviews for me (and cringe at the thought of writing my own review) but I appreciate the fact that it might be a concern to some readers. Other reviews have come from bloggers and complete strangers such as yourself.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review because honest reviews make my day (especially if they are positive). I am glad you enjoyed the book and hopefully the rest of the series (which is now complete) keep the standard up.

I have uploaded new versions of all of them, so hopefully any formatting issues have been fixed.

Scott
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

1.02