4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5*. Not really my cup of tea, but enjoyable enough for this time of year. CP is a Christian author, so be aware., 4 Dec. 2011
This review is from: A Victorian Christmas (Anthology) (Kindle Edition)
In the days when I loved Diana Palmer (80's and 90's, when she was GOOD), I received a Catherine Palmer book by mistake from a seller who'd wrongly-advertised it on amazon, and I was so disappointed that I donated the book to charity, unopened. I then went on to realise that CP is a 'tame' and Christian author, so that cemented that she's not for me, but I downloaded this as it is a freebie, in the run-up to Xmas, and thought I'd give it a go. She's still not really for me, but I did enjoy this antho, though it's not strictly on a Victorian theme...more like Wild, Wild West in the first tale.

I even managed to ignore the bit at the start of book that covers all the legalities and copyright stuff, that mentions King James scriptures, and this for the most turned out to be not too much of a preachy, Faith/Christian book; tales 3 & 4 had more scriptures and quotes. I think the Faith aspect was an inherent part of tales set in a time when God was at the forefront of Xmas and what people did and how they lived.

The first tale was along the lines of Calamity Jane - Fara is a rich philanthropist orphan, sick of fending off, scaring off, running off, mouthing off guys who want to court her for her fortune. When Aaron Hyatt writes to her to inform her he's the son of her father's best friend and will be coming to see her for Xmas, she decides that she won't stay at home, so heads to the mountains to spend time with her old Apache friend. Only she comes across an injured man, who she then nurses, despite believing that he is the Robert Hyatt from Wanted posters, falling for him...This was a funny, sweet tale about jumping to conclusions and battling to do what your head says is right, when your heart says the opposite...

The second tale started in Victorian London 1886, featuring a runaway-mouthed Texan female called Star, who's been sent to England to marry a baron from York, and who finds herself spending her journey with a proper Englishman, Lord Grey Stratton, who discovers that he's in the company of his younger brother's unseen, unknown betrothed...who likes to quilt. Conveniently her fiance doesn't want to marry her, nor her him, which she's relieved by, as she's already falling for Grey...

The third tale features the same family as in tale 2, set in 1870, with Earl Brackenhurst, father of Grey, who falls for the widowed lower-class woman, and who has to persuade her that it is ok for her to elevate her station in life and marry him. Short and sweet, if a bit unbelievable for the era. Quite a few more scriptures are quoted in this one, but still, not overly-so.

The last is the tale of Rosalind, daughter of an impoverished landowner, who has an unexpected guest in Sir Michael Stafford for Christmas. Michael used to be Mick, the son of a thief, and he asks for her hand as he has money, but no title, and longs for a family. This one had me chuckling, as Ros's father was deaf, which made for some funny moments and confusion, but it is possibly heaviest of all on forgiveness, God and scriptures. It was more of an emotional tale, as Mick's and Ros's backgrounds, unknown to them, were connected.

Overall, an enjoyable enough read, with my favourite being the first story.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Dec 2011 16:44:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2011 16:51:26 GMT
jammikins says:
I always read your reviews as I often think I will enjoy what you have ,so they are very helpful to me. I am on a quest to find easy reads (my mother died and my brain went with her I'm afraid, I have really struggled to find things to read . Cannot be bothered with anything worthy or heavy!) I avoid looking at your reviews for those ,sorry ! I loathe sci fi, love regency with a bit of raunch but nothing kinky/violent , happy with menage tho! I read a Maya Banks once, but it was BD/SM ? is that what its called? and it was too much for me and I felt a bit sick afterwards, not for me....I enjoy Lauren Dane, Lori Foster, Lisa Kleypas, Cheryl Bolen, anything regency with sex in basically also, any ideas for a reading list for me? You obviously read a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 18:39:52 GMT
Hi Jammikins

Sorry to hear of your loss, and I can understand why this book might not be for you. I was going to recommend another one, but that deals with illness, not loss per se, though it was very good, but perhaps it's not the right time for that for you right now.

Maya Banks used to be excellent before she went mainstream, but I don't read her Sweet series, as that's kind of turned into a meat-market where everyone has done everyone else (yeuch in my book), but I like Lora Leigh, Rhyannon Byrd, Tymber Dalton, Leah Brooke, Tracy St James (mainly Scifi, but Unholy Union is not), Cara Covington, Robin L Rotham (BIG TEMPTATION is not SciFi), Cindy Gerard, Larissa Ione, Beverly Barton, but my ultimate fave this year has been Lynda Chance. Her males are a bit un-PC, but the tales are excellent - I discovered her and read every one of her books in a week, and gave all a 5* review. And, they're only 86p on the Kindle. I also like early Nicole Jordan (until about 2006), Shirl Henke (historicals only), Pamela Clare (historicals only), Connie Mason (brill til she lost her hubby about 3yrs ago, then her style changed, which is understandable), Annmarie McKenna.

Hope this helps you, and thanks so much for your kind comments and the compliment.

Regards and Happy Xmas!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 21:11:43 GMT
jammikins says:
Thank you so much, I will investigate and continue to read your helpful reviews! and check out your suggestions, I am quite partial to alpha un pc males actually, adore them, ( used to be three lads in this house though they were brought up properly so not un pc which is perhaps why I so enjoy the escapism element of them in fiction! )your comment made me laugh, but I have noticed in your reviews you seem to be concerned for everyone's various sensibilities! Again well done and keep up the good work, quite sure I am not the only one who appreciates intelligently written informative reviews......
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist