4.0 out of 5 stars Hate it, but appreciated the tale, the mindsets, the lifestyle. Wouldn't read it again, this isn't LOVE in my book, 26 May 2012
This review is from: Sweet Addiction (Paperback)
I have definite Marmite moments with this author - I like her Highlander series, I like her KGI stuff, but I don't like her Sweet tales - which seem a bit incestuous and too much like a 'meat market' (though this one wasn't the former, but did have quite a bit of the latter), and I don't like her Silhouette Desire stuff. However, I'm kind of compelled to read the Sweet series, which is, thankfully, readily available at my local library.

The amazon blurb and the two previous reviewers have done well in relaying the tale, so I won't repeat any of that, but I will say that the 'love' in this book, well-explained as it was, is not love in any way that I'd want. Sharing a lover with all and sundry, despite her not having any objections to it, is fulfilling a hedonistic desire, not fulfilling a fantasy because you love someone. In fact, in the build-up to the sharing, there were no conversations, just 'would you like this/that' when other guys were around, and so, Ren said she would, so an orgy was had by all.

I didn't get her lifestyle choice, as we didn't really get an explanation of her background/family life, and what made her crave pain with her sex, what made her so totally submissive. To be the latter in some circumstances is certainly fine, but not in someone of only 16yo; I mean, at that age, you can't make a life-affecting decision, and yes, I appreciate that Cole was older and held off, but it was hardly realistic. As for 'you own me. I belong to you' and being nothing but a puppet and a possession - how is that a strong female in 'regular Joe/Jane life'?

I didn't feel as if I knew the trio, as none of them truly voiced any feelings; it seemed as if they were characters role-playing in The Lifestyle. All felt shallow and I didn't buy that the guys loved Ren so much that despite not wanting to have a permanent menage relationship, they agreed to one.

At the end of the tale, though I appreciated the insight into the BDSM lifestyle, I didn't feel for any of the characters, especially the 'I live in a pampered doll's world' Ren, nor did I believe in their relationship or HEA. However, as usual, it was a well-written and well-crafted tale by this author, hence my rating. But, it's not a read-and-re-read for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Feb 2013 20:51:29 GMT
Saunders says:
With you on this one. Wouldn't read it again. Have you seen the price?? phew not worth it at this current price.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2013 21:05:48 GMT
Hi Saunders

I hope you're well, nice to hear from you. It is overpriced, but she's re-releasing her books with snazzy new covers. Have you read the other in this series featuring Angelina? It's nothing but a gang-bang, without even a passing thought to protection. The woman is just passed fro guy to guy, without even a chance to recover from three-way action. Gross, not sexy, in my book, but hey, she felt empowered allegedly. I don't buy these tales, as they're not worth the price, nor are they Keepers.

Her KGI series is better, but the last wasn't really a series book, more a mission for vengeance. Can't win 'em all!

Take care, regards.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 0.47