ARRAY(0xa43927c8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Originally faulty but now Perfect, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: Philips PerfectCare Expert GC9220/02 Steam Generator Iron - One Perfect Temperature - 230g Pressurised Steam Boost (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately the original Steam Generator I received had a fault and so I was unable to properly review it. However I now have had experience of both a perfectly working Steam Generator and the Philips After care service and so here is my updated review. Please note I changed the rating from one star (due to receiving a faulty product to five stars after receiving a new Steam Generator).

The original Steam Generator Iron that I received had a faulty connection between the removal water tank and the main body of the Iron. This meant that when you placed the water tank into the body of the iron that it started to leak - heavily. Apparently the removal water tank's function is simply to make it easier for you to get water into the body of the steam generator. This fault meant that no water went into the body of the steam generator instead it simply emptied all over worktops and ironing board - basically wherever it was sitting.

I rang the Philips after-care service number and explained the problem to a very helpful staff member and was instructed to take it to one of their Northern Ireland service centre's. When I took it to the centre the staff were extremely nice but told me that I should not have brought it to them as it had not been purchased from them. However on explaining the situation they took the Steam Generator from me for the Philips Engineer to look at. A few weeks later I received a phone call from the service centre asking me to collect the Steam Generator - they had been unable to fix it as this particular model does not yet have spare parts available at any of the service centres. However I have to say that I really do believe that if they could have done anything to fix this they would have done so - in no way did I feel that I had been "fobbed off". I was given the engineer's name and a code to give the Customer Care Service Centre when I rang them.

I then again rang the Philips Customer Care line and brought them up to date regarding the situation (giving them the code and the engineer's name). I was told that they would be in touch and approximately a week later they contacted me to tell me that a new Steam Generator was being sent to me. They apologised most profusely for the problem I had experienced and told me that my guarantee would restart on the delivery date of the new Steam Generator and that they guaranteed this for two years - not one which was stated on the box. Two weeks later I received a new Steam Generator which had a completely different removal water tank section. I have to commend Philips for sending me a new Steam Generator however it did take almost four months to sort this out. I do think that the Philips customer care line should have been aware that this was a fault with the early model of this Steam Generator and that no service centre had the necessary parts to fix a faulty GC9220 Steam Generator but I think that this was a fault with Philips not giving their staff the necessary information - in no way do I think it was a reflection on their staff.

However now that I have a working model of the Philips GC9220 Steam Generator I have to say it was worth every moment of the wait - plus the trips to the service centre and phonecalls!

I have used a steam generator for some years now but this one is quite simply in a class of its own. For those who haven't used a steam generator it does look bulky and cumbersome - many models have a very short flex/lead between the iron and the base which causes problems when ironing but not this one - the flex is able to go the full length of an oversize ironing board without any tugging or moving of the generator base.

The removable water tank is a doodle to fill with ordinary tap water and then just slots into place at the front of the generator. From the time you put the water tank in place to Ironing is less than two minutes.

Like everyone else who reads the - no temperature setting required - I was somewhat apprehensive and started out on a shirt which lets just say has seen better days. The iron glided over it and I was finished in moments. As this was an old shirt it did have a set of "tram lines" running down the sleeve (for those of you who are expert at ironing this happens when the shirt has been ironed and the centre line on the sleeve has been ironed a little off centre). I always find these are a complete nightmare to fix but all that was needed was for me to make sure the shirt was correctly positioned and the shirt now has only one crisp line - the rest of the lines disappeared when the steam hit them. For me and I'm sure anyone else who hasn't time to be totally meticulous this is a godsend.

After satisfying myself that I was not going to burn or singe anything I tried an antique linen tablecloth that I would normally leave in to be professionally ironed - it took me less than ten minutes and gave me a result that is far superior to the professionals. On this item I found the steam boost to be a tremendous advantage in correcting old creases, I didn't need to lean heavily - although I did use a little more pressure than with normal clothes and sheets - the only way I can think of describing it is that it was more pushing the iron than allowing it to glide. Never again will I be paying a small fortune for this to be ironed.

Finally I think I should say something about the price of this item. Yes it is expensive compared to an ordinary iron. At the time of writing this you can purchase an ordinary Philips Iron for around 35.00 whereas this one is at the moment 195.00, so this is definitely not going to be bought on a whim. However as I have already discovered the Philips After Care Service is superb. They guarantee this Steam Generator for two years (even though they only mention a one year guarantee on the box) and it cuts the time devoted to ironing to less than half with far superior results. If you're not going to be doing a lot of ironing or have the time to be very particular about your ironing then perhaps a cheaper iron will suffice but for someone who is busy and wants minimum time and effort - this is the one to buy. I honestly cannot recommend it or Philips After Care Service enough.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]