5.0 out of 5 stars .......wow..........., 2 April 2002
This review is from: ICO (Video Game)
In order to truly undrerstand the impact Ico had on me you would need to speak to me face-to-face, so I could at least attempt to convey the emotion involved. I have NEVER been so awed or involved in a game. The storyline is one of the most simple yet eternal themes ever to be written, and it appeals to us on more levels than we would care to admit. The interaction between Ico and Yorda seems to represent everything good we believe the human spirit is capable of - love, courage, compassion, empathy. Yorda is the woman you have dreamed of rescuing. As you battle to save her from the shadows (which are never explained, adding to their mystery) you almost want to jump in to the tv and kick their asses yourself!
But the action is not where Ico excels - the puzzles will have you scratching your head for a while, before someone pipes up "well, what about that window/bomb/chain?". Whilst Ico is a one player game, you can happily sit around in a group and play for hours (the night I bought it I and three mates played it for four hours with hardly a word muttered that didn't involve the puzzles). You will be so engrossed by the beauty of the castle (I defy anyone not to give a gasp as they look out from the top of the windmill,or gaze up at the waterfalls) that you will give up your life in the quest to see what is next. And perhaps this is the game's main downfall - you become so lost in Ico and Yorda's struggle for their freedom that the game is over before you are aware what you have accomplished - I finished it in less than nine hours. If you have an analytical mind and a 'feel' for games of this kind (think Zelda 64 type puzzles, but more intricate) than you may find this title rather short. However, the game is SO beautiful and the ending SO heart-breakingly affecting that you will forgive it any flaws. Ico is an astonishing gaming experience and a leap forward in game design..

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jan 2010 15:28:10 GMT
Atticman says:
Nearly 8 years have passed since I wrote this review, and it is extremely gratifying to see that Ico is still heralded as one of the greatest games of all time. It is frequently used as an example of the emotional power video games have, and stands as a high-water mark for artistic merit in this most-derided of mediums. I am also proud to say that I still own my copy of of Ico, in perfect mint condition, as well as the (inferior, in my opinion) follow up, Shadow of the Colossus. Both games have stood the test of time well, and I recently bought a PS2 just to go back and relive them.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2010 13:52:38 GMT
Ash,

Wow, you are back 8 years later, is that impressive or what.

I never played this game, but I played Shadow of the Colossus which remains my favourite game to this day. I don't have a PS2 right now, mine broke in December 2008, after 7 years of loyal service. I miss my old PS2 games, SotC first and foremost. You just made my mind up: I'll go buy a PS2 now. And then I'll buy ICO.

I can't wait for The Last Guardian.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2010 12:28:04 GMT
Atticman says:
You won't regret it! Its one of the best gaming experiences you can have. The Last Guardian is shaping up to be something immensely special. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2010 12:33:15 BDT
The Truth says:
What is it about this game?

I feel exactly the same as you - I haven't played it for years, but still think of it constantly and am here just reading reviews about it (weird and rather sad). In fact I had to write my own.

I also - called my cat Ico... try explaining that one to girls without sounding like a geek.

"What's your cat called?"

"Ico, but I call him Ike..."

"Oh, that's an interesting name... what made you call him that?"

"Er... Ok, I'm not a computer geek or anything, but...."

I don't have a PS3 - but am buying one as soon as Last Guardian comes out. Ico just has had, and continues to have as massive impact on my life.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2011 16:48:34 BDT
Atticman says:
Not long now - it comes out at the end of next week!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 17:38:45 BDT
tallpete33 says:
The Last Guardian is still in production and may not see the light of day this year :o( but in the meantime you could always read the ICO book :o)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 17:28:16 BDT
Atticman says:
I already have it, sitting by my bed. I'm playing through Ico again in HD at the moment though and don't want to read it until I've finished.
Yeah it's a real shame about The Last Guardian, it seems like Sony are willing to give them as much time as they ask for, but there has to be a limit. At this rate the Ps4 will be out before they release it!

Posted on 26 Nov 2013 01:17:23 GMT
Atticman says:
Well, it's happening - the PS4 arrives on these shores this week and there is still no sign of The Last Guardian, the game I bought my PS3 for so long ago. Fumito Ueda claims that work on TLG continues (see EDGE #261, published this month) but my heart fears that it may never see the light of day... A modern tragedy if so...

Still, Ico continues to represent a watershed moment in gaming, and it's influence can still be seen in games being produced today. The novelisation of the story ICO: Castle in the Mist (Haikasoru) is well worth a read, by the way - a lovingly written fan service to one of gaming's brightest gems.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2013 06:20:24 GMT