5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Forbidden Queen (Paperback)
Firstly I'd like to thank ED Public Relations for sending me this book to read and give an honest review. As I've said before, I don't often read historical fiction and Katherine de Valois was new to me but it sounded thoroughly intriguing and I was looking forward to getting started.

It began with a brief introduction to Katherine's childhood and, considering she was a princess, she seemed to be rather neglected. Once she had reached a suitable age her mother set about trying to persuade King Henry V to accept Katherine as his wife, at this point she was young and hopeful and wanted nothing more than to be a good wife but she seemed unaware of what was expected of her.

I found it fascinating to learn about Katherine and I felt a genuine warmth towards her which lasted throughout the book. As she adjusted to her new role as Queen her timid and sensitive demeanour worried me, she seemed to lack the power that a woman in her position needed but it was her strange detached marriage that ended up making her stronger. When King Henry V died I was keen to see how it would affect Katherine's strength and felt surprised by her reactions during the aftermath.

Edmund Beaufort arrived in a whirlwind and it was then that I saw a different Katherine altogether - he was wildly romantic and cheeky with it, he certainly brought out the fun side of Katherine and I enjoyed reading about their time together. Owen Tudor was gentle and respectful, his presence going unnoticed until a moment which made it impossible for Katherine not to notice him!

A tangled web of lies, deceit and scandal seemed to follow Katherine wherever she went, some of her decisions were impulsive and didn't serve her well but I was impressed when she stood firmly by her beliefs and fought passionately for them. The writing was beautifully clear and precise which made this a very easy book to read, I flew through the pages as I became more and more caught up in Katherine's life and the politics that had kept her prisoner.

The epilogue left me in tears - it was incredibly touching, as was Katherine's life in general, and I couldn't resist heading online to find out what had become of her family.

This was a romantic, fascinating and enjoyable read, I was utterly gripped by the words on its pages and would highly recommend it to others.

[Add comment]