3.0 out of 5 stars Braun Series 7 720 Shaver, 24 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Braun Series 7 720s-4 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
This is the first foil shaver I've owned, having been a Philips devotee until now and I have to say I'm not overly impressed.

While the closeness of the shave is actually better than I've been able to get with rotary shavers, it does have a number of drawbacks. First off, its more unwieldly and less comfortable to hold than the more ergonomic Philips shavers. Secondly, it is incredibly noisy, compared to other shavers I've owned. Finally, when my stubble grows back, it is a LOT tougher and more bristly, whereas with the Philips shavers, it stayed reasonably soft.

The micro-vibration feature is supposed to make shaving more comfortable, but I just found it made my skin heat up, making the experience less comfortable. This effect is lessed by using the less "intense" modes, but shaving quality suffers.

Perhaps being used to rotary shavers, it took me a few attempts to get the best results, as you have to angle it differently for different parts of your face. I didn't find the shaver head tilt feature very useful, finding it easier to just move / angle the shaver as necessary, with the head locked in the "straight" position.

Also, I don't know if its just a fault with this particular unit, but it doesn't seem to charge fully. I only have to use it a few times before the Low Charge light comes on. I held off recharging it until the battery was completely flat (it doesn't gradually wind down like a Philips, but instead just stops suddenly) and found it lasted for 8 shaves.

In summary, I'd say its not a bad shaver and if you're more used to foil shavers, you may rate it more highly. Personally, I think I'll be going back to Philips when I next need a new shaver.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Feb 2012 11:56:47 GMT
A.Bell says:
I find myself agreeing with you on all the points you've mentioned and I have been using Braun for years. There is something wanting at the end of a shave with a Braun as there are definitely areas of left-behind stubble that Braun shavers just fail to remove no matter what you do. To be fair, the last Braun I got was in 2005 and is the one I'm using now, but I've changed the foil and cutting block twice since my purchase and it makes little difference, so I may be forgiven for thinking that latest models are not going to be very different. Recently, I've tried a Panasonic wet/dry foil shaver and different models of Philishave and can honestly say the latter provide a far superior shave.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (179 customer reviews)

£249.99 £124.80