1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
Great idea with practical challenges,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Rotastak Adventure Zone Animal Housing, S (Misc.)
For the kids, this seemed a dream home for our new Syrian hamster pet. Loads of room, tunnels, quiet areas, an integrated wheel and water. It does provide ample space for "Patch" to wander around. But it has challenges:
1. Cleaning it is a complete nightmare. It takes forever. It's too fiddly for the kids to do it themselves and putting it back together can be problematic.
2. The tunnels may seem like a fun thing for a Syrian, but Patch likes to stuff them full of sawdust making it impossible to move from one house to the other. The vertical tunnels are difficult too as it's hard for the hamster to climb them when Patch moves the sawdust. He effectively blocks himself out of the side with food!
3. The wheel is too small for a Syrian I think. Patch is very fluffy but he looks somewhat contorted in there. I'd prefer more room.
4. The water bottle has been chewed. There are few places to put a bigger one on this cage.
5. We had escapes through the hole blocks. They twist in but can be forced out.
6. Two holes in the see through area (the big yellow area in the photo) have wire locks that stick into the cage. Patch scratched his eye on this but fortunately got better.
7. The closed section (blue bit at the top of the photo) does not get used because of the tunnels
On the plus side, it looks great. I am anxious that it may not be big enough as Patch gets older. With hindsight, I'd have bought a more traditional cage.