5.0 out of 5 stars Limited only by your own imagination, 23 July 2012
This review is from: CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Corel Draw X6

I run a design agency and have had Corel products since they came out with Corel Draw version 1 only floppy disks. Most of my employees prefer to use the Adobe Creative Suite but Corel has always been at this level so I was happy to try this new version as it competes with Adobe for the higher end design market.
This is my initial review and I will post updates as we use it to run a complete project.

What is it ?

It is a suite of software for visual design from painting through to photography and website design.
The main programs are:

Corel Draw X6 - vector graphics software,
Corel Photo Paint - a poweful photo editor,
Corel web designer - a drag and drop website design system supporting all modern technologies,
Corel Connect - a project sharing and management centre.
Corel Capture - software for capturing images and screens from the computer.

There are also several other add-ins to allow printer duplexing (print both sides), video tutorials and some add-ins for the photo package. There is also a huge suite of fonts, layouts and graphics included.

The suite comes on a single DVD and loads with little user intervention except for registering etc. You need to download the Web design software after registration as it is not on the initial DVD for some reason.
Manual
The suite comes with a hardbound well illustrated quality manual which is well written and easy to follow as a course or just a dip in when help is needed. This is probably the best quality manual I have ever used.

Corel Draw

This is a solid program and allows you to produce anything from a simple logo to a full high quality vector graphics. I can't find any limitations in the package other than me. Basically if you can think it up you will be able to design it here. The tools are very comprehensive and surprisingly easy to use. I have done a few logos with it and actually enjoyed the process. It can also be used with a drawing tablet and my Aipteck A4 one was found by the software and correctly loading into it as an input device. I am very impressed with this package, it's rack solid, easy to use and has all the power you will ever need.

Corel Photo paint

This is a high end fully equipped photo editing package. It accepted all the RAW files I threw at it from my Nikon camera systems including some of the newer bodies. It has lots of automated tools, which are just as comprehensive as anything else I have used from other companies.
The interface does feel old fashioned. If you hover over the menu items they don't automatically drop down, you have to click first. I expect this is more design from Corel than a throwback to the past because it saves on memory and stops loads of menus opening when the mouse touches them. One thing I can say it has never locked up or crashed on me despite being open all day. This is amazing because every other editor I use cannot go for long without locking up of doing something I have not asked it to do, well done Corel.
The layering facilities are very easy to use and have lots of flexibility allowing the user to create photographs with lots of design elements. Even one of my Photoshop 'experts' thought it was easier to use and much more stable than Photoshop.

Corel Web designer

This is a drag and drop web design package that is really aimed at small business or the hobby designer that does not want to learn HTML or all the other packages that are used today. It's all there, templates, forms, graphics and menus and the code it generates is modern and works fine. This is the only part of the software that I am not really going to go into myself as we use our own 'in house' design system that we have built over many years along with our clients. However, for anyone wanting a quick site without going back to school to learn how to do it this will do fine.

Corel Capture

This application lets you capture screens from your computer. The software is great allowing the user to copy all or parts of a screen and size them accordingly. These can be used in other elements of the package or exported to other software suites. This is so simple to use but very effective and powerful. This will be great for illustrating technical manuals about our software etc.

The other bits

The project sharing application allows users who are working on a project to share data. This allows the project supervisor to keep an overview of the project and plan accordingly. This part is really for design agencies and is really a project management tool. It's comprehensive and useful if you are using external inputs from designers. It keeps a project neat and hopefully on time.
There is a mass of clipart and some photos to use within your documents along with some website templates.

Overall

Corel has produced a cheaper alternative to the competing Adobe Creative Suite (£1200 +). Corel's software will do just about anything this suite will do and really the software is only limited by the users imagination. This would be ideal for small design companies or companies which need to do their own design work and don't want to spend a fortune with Adobe. Corel's software is also very stable and needs a much less powerful system to run on that Adobe's. It's a pity it's only a PC package and not Mac compatible.
All in all a good buy which won't let you down, it's easy to use and very comprehensive for the money. Also the manual is great.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jul 2012 16:25:54 BDT
Thanks for a very detailed and thoughtful review. It has helped me make the decision to buy this.

Posted on 10 Mar 2013 14:32:25 GMT
Enthusiast says:
Thank you for you helpful review.

A reviewer (of the Home & Student Suite of X6) says "you cannot change the RGB pallet to cmyk" which could be a problem for printing. Does this apply with the Full version?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 12:05:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jun 2013 12:05:55 BDT
Mummy says:
The home and student version is not for commercial use which is why you will not be able to go to print. My understanding is that this is not the case with the full version (hence the heftier price tag). You could check with Corel they have a phone number at the top of their homepage.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2013 12:01:01 BDT
No it does not - you can freely convert between output formats although the conversion engine is buried deep in the menus.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2013 12:03:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2013 12:03:35 BDT
You can print on any printer although in the student version there are not so many options but you should still b e able to print to most printers. If you cannot print at all then I think you have a system problem - post the problem here and I would be happy to see if I can sort it for you - sorry for the delay in replying to you by the way - I missed the update on my email.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2013 23:19:21 BDT
Enthusiast says:
Thank you Mr. Pearn.

Posted on 31 Jan 2014 14:41:20 GMT
Isamiami says:
Thanks for all the details you gave. Do you please know if this coreldraw is multilingual and which languages it has? It would be very helpful for me. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2014 15:22:50 GMT
Hi Isamiami,
As far as I know Corel Draw Graphics Suite X6 is only UK English but I will check with them and post their reply fro you.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2014 15:28:35 GMT
Isamiami says:
Actually I've already written to amazon and they have to let me know,for me it's very important to know if there are other languages and Italian too.....

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2014 15:30:23 GMT
Isamiami says:
Sorry for bothering again....in case could you check directly from your coreldraw if it's possible to set other languages? Thank you so much
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

RJP the Book Boy
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: UK