5.0 out of 5 stars Sheryl at her very best,, 24 Jan. 2004
This review is from: The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow (Audio CD)
My Sheryl Crow experience may be a little different from that of others as her massive "All I Want To Do" was played so much I was over Sheryl before giving her a chance. Having said that I have bought all of Sheryl's releases as I've found myself appreciating this amazing talent beyond the normal reaction that one has to hearing a catchy song being played over and over.
Her initial release was so much more than "All I Want To Do" and I was really attracted to her mix of songs (and the woman too) such as "Strong Enough", "I Shall Believe" and "Leaving Las Vegas." Quite a feat for a debut. I also love "Run, Baby, Run", "Can't Cry Anymore", and "What I Can Do For You, which are not included here, but the collection can't be faulted as it clocks in almost at the maximum that a CD will allow.
Sheryl followed her debut her a self titled release that brought us the quiet yet AMAZING "Home" (I can't get enough of this song) and the bigger hits "If It Makes You Happy", "Everyday Is A Winding Road", and "A Change Would Do You Good".
Her "The Globe Sessions" release brought us the huge hit "My Favorite Mistake", "There Goes The Neighborhood" (which I am only appreciating now in this context) and "The Difficult Kind". That release also has one one of my Sheryl favorites: "Anything But Down", also not included but again does not take away from this 5 star review. Her most recent relase, "C'mon, C'mon" again elevated Sheryl's profile with the catchy "Soak Up The Sun" and it's corresponding video, which dominated the airwaves in a time when it's a tough feat for a non-novelty song artist. From that release we also get "Steve McQueen", which has a great from Steve Miller's "Take The Money And Run". It's not my favorite Sheryl song, but again it was a hit and liked by many and deserves to be here.
This release also includes a couple of new songs (one written by her and the other is a classic first released by Cat Stevens and subsequently sung in its definitive version by Rod Stewart)as well as the amazing "Picture" duet with Kid Rock. Thank God that this CD came out now as I was seriously going to have to contemplate buying the Kid Rock CD just for that song.
All in all this is a perfect collection that not only will satisfy her more casual fans, but it certainly pleases this huge fan as the non-chronological playlist plays to the listeners advantage. In fact, this release (with the exception of her debut CD) may be the most cohesive way to enjoy Sheryl's charms.
One minor quibble, two versions of "The First Cut Is The Deepest" are not that different from one another and the exclusion of either could have left room to include any of my other favorites (including other covers and her great contribution to the James Bond franchise, but that does not detract from a true 5 star review and the hope that a few years from now there will be a second volume as I hope that Sheryl continues to do her thing and have the type of longevity enjoyed by Bonnie Raitt, Tina Turner, Dolly Parton, and VERY FEW others.
Go buy this now and you can find it at a very reasonable price in accordance with Universal's new pricing strategy, which I hope works as good music and reasonable prices is all that is required to keep any music company churning out whatever profits they require to quit whinning about all the things that are keeping them from selling in the multiples they grew to expect.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]