2.0 out of 5 stars Versatile but low screen resolution, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Samsung ATIV One 7 27 inch Touchscreen All-in-One PC (Intel Core i7 3770T 2.5GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Blu-ray, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, TV Tuner, Radeon Graphics, Windows 8, Black) (Personal Computers)
I bought the Samsnug Ativ One as a replacement for a 2011 27" Apple iMac.

I've been using Apple Mac's since 2006 and shunned Windows since then, only running the OS within VM's when I've needed to test things. I believe that Microsoft are on to something with Windows 8.1 and their convergence plans. I decided to give it another try after so long.

What better PC to switch back to Windows than this Samsung Ativ One, I'm really happy with the build quality and design, (After I removed the various Intel and AMD stickers), it runs very quiet and the touch screen is an unexpected bonus. I never really understood the benefit of the new wave of full desktop PCs with touch screens, it seemed alien to me to be sat and poking at things but it actually works quite well and it's very responsive considering the size of the screen. I don't use it that much but running Flipboard at full screen is a joy.

The key selling point was the versatility of this PC. Having owned various Apple products over the years I got a little bit tired of Apple telling me what I needed rather than giving me options, also the HDD died on my iMac and that's happened to me on quite a few occasions, it was all I needed to try something different. Having the HDMI in was a key factor for me, I can use the Samsung as an external monitor for various devices. I like the fact it has a TV tuner in it although I doubt I'll ever use it and the number of USB ports means I won't have to bother with a hub any more. My printer now works! Even though I don't print much at least I can do so now due to driver support from Lexmark. The Mac OS X driver never worked.

I was surprised at how good the stock Samsung keyboard was. I've been using Apple keyboards for years, even taking them with me when using PC's at other locations. The Samsung one is just as nice to use and I'll be sticking with it. The mouse went back in the box though, I prefer my Microsoft Arc mouse.

I love the remote. It's big and clunky, almost unrecognisable from the other Samsung TV/Blu-Ray player remotes I own but the sleep button is excellent! It's nice to be able to hibernate the PC from across the room when I'm done for the day.

A big let down is the resolution, set at 1920x1080 everything looks huge, coming from a 2560x1440 27" iMac it really feels like wasted screen real estate. I use my PCs for work and play so the lack of PPI will take some getting used to. I'm also not a fan of the function buttons on the screen. The eject disc, source and menu are all touch based which is fine, but they are not illuminated so if you're working into the early hours of the morning with just the monitor lighting up the room you're just stabbing in the dark. Probably won't affect most people but a small annoyance for me.

I wanted an all-in-one replacement running Windows 8.1 and this Samsung has ticked the majority of my requirements. Very happy with the purchase.

EDIT: Although originally impressed with this PC, I have to admit that within five months I had replaced it with a newer model Apple iMac. Over a longer period of time this PC let me down in many ways, I think mostly down to the OEM software. I had to use the system restore facility a total of seven times after complete lock-ups caused by software conflicts and cases of god-knows-what, the PC would just refuse to boot.

I got so sick and tired of the Samsung software updater and Windows updates conflicting with each other that I decided to ignore both of them. I ended up replacing the stock Samsung keyboard with a Bluetooth Logitech one, only to discover that the Bluetooth on this Samsnung device was very flakey, trying to pair a Bluetooth soundbar crashed it and lead me to have to perform one of the afore mentioned system restores. One morning after ending a group Skype call, the PC locked up and required me to system restore it again.

I lost all confidence in using this PC after a while that I just gave-up. The new iMac I bought to replace it has been flawless. Short lived experience and I doubt I'll ever buy a Windows PC from Samsung again. I do own a Surface Pro 3 and I've never had any issues with that, just goes to show that directing and building products for your own software works. Apple seems to have known this all along, not sure why I left them in the first place now.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]